I have Red faced, purple comb, sour crop chicken that won't eat or drink water. Tail is up!

Iveta

Songster
May 4, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
1.Ameraucana, recently added (few months) definitely lighter than my other birds, including the Ameraucana I have. Just under one; she gets extremely loud screeching as if in pain before laying eggs, which previous owner thought was attention seeking and that's why got rid of her; I thought it's too unnatural for such forced screech, but possibly just an oddity .
2) What is the behavior?
I found her Friday laying alone in deep shade near a water bowl. Refuses to eat or drink on her own, red face, watery eyes sometimes purple comb
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
5 days now
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Friday I gave the flock old jumbo shrimp I thought good enough for the ducks,but my Ameraucana - pamuk (means cotton) had big share. The shrimp was with tails on and heavily drenched In lime sauce and some soy sauce
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
This is the last thing I suspect contributed to her situation. She was also laying under the oleanders, but we never have had any mistakes of the birds trying any part of oleanders.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She poops only dots of white liquid
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Massages, epsom salt bath, amoxicillin immediately since Friday, also Friday - sugar water , nutridrench, oregano, oil, then vinegar, then yogurt, then just draining her crop manually by tilting her; I'm out of wits now
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
The only vet hospital that would treat her said just to bring her in is $250 before diagnosis and before treatment so it will rank up quick. I truly hope I can find solution for my cotton bow here. She has been very patient and I thought I near lost her few times but she recovers just to keep going in what I believe is pain..(I also have given her crushed ibuprofen in water for swelling and infection)
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I have a picture of her resting in mom lap after epsom salt which was surprisingly exhausting for her. Other times it perks her up
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is staying in, laying on top of a chair/nightstand/on a towel occupying all of my mind. The photo is from the weekend .her face gets more red now; crop is mushy, recently dewormed, yet kept laying eggs till this weekend. Please help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-04-09-13-21-307_com.android.camera.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-04-09-13-21-307_com.android.camera.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom