I have shavings in the water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimz1, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    How do you keep shavings out of the waterers? I have 2 quart size waterers in the brooder sitting on 2" blocks of wood. I thought it was high enough but they still seem to get the stuff in there. They don't poop in them very much. If I were to be a " stay-at-home-dad" I could probably change the water every hour. What can I do? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    The gravity fed watering systems with the push-in nipples work wonderfully. You'll have no more wood shavings in your water.

[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Or, make a three step up watering platform. They'll hop up three steps to get the water, or just fly up. [​IMG]

4. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    I just hang my from the rafters at about the hen's mid neck level. They can reach to dip their beaks into it but can't scratch or fling the shavings that high. Works for us. I did place it next to the wall to keep it from swinging back & forth.

5. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    I put mine on a stump. It's mostly out of flying shavings range.

6. Sarahbethk

Sarahbethk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Oh, that is SO annoying! I really dislike having chicks in a brooder for that exact reason! I've heard of something called a chicken nipple watere that is supposed to work well but have never tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by