I have some Roosters, need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cluckychick, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have 7 roosters in a grow out pen. The are currently 9 weeks old. 1 NHR, 2 Black australorps and 4 Barred Rock. I would like to grow them out to about 14 weeks and then send them to freezer camp. What should I feed them? Right now they are still on medicated feed and though they are large I want something to put alittle weight on them.

I have never processed birds before so this will be quite the adventure and I hope I can do it. [​IMG]

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    We are going to do the same thing with our white rocks. We feed the chick starter and a scratch feed mixture. The chick starter is a high protein feed and will keep them growing and plump.

3. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Storey's recommends taking them off medicated feed for the 'withdrawal period' (they indicated that this should be indicated on the bag or that the information should be available from the feed store) so you don't get trace medication showing up in the meat. I would switch to non-medicated feed. You can also add some scratch in their diet.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I would take them off the medicated feed at least 10 days before slaughter and you can switch to non medicated and scratch grain. I cannot get the non medicated where I live w/o driving an hour out of my way and I am not doing that so I switch mine to scratch and black oil sunflower seeds.
    I would also during this time with the breeds you have is to keep them confined so they don't run off extra weight. As you know the carcuss of these birds will not have the meat on them as do the chickens in the grocery store (cornish x) but are still good eating. I usually take these breeds cut in half and grill them as half a chicken. One half can easily feed one adult man. I can sometimes eat more depending on how hungry I am.
    Since this is your first time you will need to let the bird rest (after processing) for at least 24 hours before cooking or it may be tough. Speaking of tough you can expect them to have more "texture" then the cornish x as they are a more active bird.
    I hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by