I have the dumbest rooster ever, he isn't going to make it....mating ducks!

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I hatched out a sumatra rooster last year from shipped eggs, the only one. Luckily I had an oegb egg in there from my own pen. These birds were inseperable. They would run around the property together and the sumatra would always look out for the oegb. It turns out that the sumatra was a roo and the oegb is a hen. We decided to let him hang out since he didn't cause any problems, was quiet, and that little girl was attached to him, she panicked if he left her sight.

Fast forward....hormones struck! He started running off leaving the little girl, she then made friends with her sisters that had hatched a few weeks earlier and now spends her time with other "little girls". This stupid sumatra now chases my ducks!!!! He is always trying to mate my runners and cayugas, the boys included. One of my ducks recently suffered an injury and we didn't know what happened. She passed and I was still stumped, until yesterday. I let the ducks and chickens out and he automatically was frantically trying to mate my poor ducks and they tried their hardest to get away from him.

I feel bad because he is so beautiful, and quiet, but I don't want to suffer any more losses because he is stupid. I am not going to make a pen for him just because it isn't in my budget since I am not pursuing this breed anymore.

Has anyone ever had a chicken that kept after the ducks like this?!?!?!

I hatched out a sumatra rooster last year from shipped eggs, the only one. Luckily I had an oegb egg in there from my own pen. These birds were inseperable. They would run around the property together and the sumatra would always look out for the oegb. It turns out that the sumatra was a roo and the oegb is a hen. We decided to let him hang out since he didn't cause any problems, was quiet, and that little girl was attached to him, she panicked if he left her sight.

Fast forward....hormones struck! He started running off leaving the little girl, she then made friends with her sisters that had hatched a few weeks earlier and now spends her time with other "little girls". This stupid sumatra now chases my ducks!!!! He is always trying to mate my runners and cayugas, the boys included. One of my ducks recently suffered an injury and we didn't know what happened. She passed and I was still stumped, until yesterday. I let the ducks and chickens out and he automatically was frantically trying to mate my poor ducks and they tried their hardest to get away from him.

I feel bad because he is so beautiful, and quiet, but I don't want to suffer any more losses because he is stupid. I am not going to make a pen for him just because it isn't in my budget since I am not pursuing this breed anymore.

Has anyone ever had a chicken that kept after the ducks like this?!?!?!

yuckyuck.gif
That is going to be one hard habit to break..maybe you could get one of those wire cages and put he and a hen in there for a wk or so and see if he falls in love with her instead???

unfortunately the only "extra" hens on my property are my oegb and he is so rough with the ducks I am afraid he will kill the little girls. Dh is probably just going to cull him. Sad, but I have way too many roos right now and I am not tolerant of bullies or roos that hurt other birds. I don't even have fights with my free range guys, they all just do their own thing...

unfortunately the only "extra" hens on my property are my oegb and he is so rough with the ducks I am afraid he will kill the little girls. Dh is probably just going to cull him. Sad, but I have way too many roos right now and I am not tolerant of bullies or roos that hurt other birds. I don't even have fights with my free range guys, they all just do their own thing...

You could just eat him...they are soooo yummy! Why let him be a waste?
hmm.png

we don't eat our birds (a deal I have with the kids) and I am afraid to put him on craigslist, he would be a great fighter and I don't want that. He isn't very meaty
hu.gif

I am afraid to put him on craigslist, he would be a great fighter and I don't want that.

I've been concerned about this as well, although I have no clue what makes a good fighter. I do give away my roos but only if they are gonna end up in a pot or w/ a flock.

Sorry about yer pretty boy being such a dunce. Don't boys settle down as they get older?

we don't eat our birds (a deal I have with the kids) and I am afraid to put him on craigslist, he would be a great fighter and I don't want that. He isn't very meaty
hu.gif

That deal needs to be reconsidered. Do you eat chicken meat from the store? Same same -- only your meat . . . er, I mean rooster, will have more nutrition for your own children. Then there is that circle of life stuff than you need to teach to your children.

Back
Top Bottom