I have the lamest chickens EVER!!!

lollimama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
My chicken raising hobby has been so depressing thus far. I bought two 'pullets' from a local farm, she said they would start laying around mid to late September or possibly early october. One is a red star and the other is my beautiful blue splash marans. Well, after waiting and waiting and waiting I've all but given up! I think she totally lied to me about their ages - what a mean trick!!!!! I don't even want to confess how much I spent on them, thinking they would be laying soon after I bought them (in August). Here are some pictures I just took today of them. Poor Lucile (the red star) is smaller than some of my baby Easter Eggers who won't be laying till February. She show NO signs whatsoever of laying any time at all. The other, Betty has a very full comb and waddles and it's nice and red but she also shows no other signs. She's looked like this for a few weeks now. Ugh. Out of all 6 I get NO EGGS - big fat 0!!!! My ONE who is of laying age is molting terribly now, running around the yard acting like a young little pullet - she even stopped squatting for us - is that normal?

I guess I'm just looking for sympathy really. I know it's a waiting game and some people get lucky with early laying chickens...then others of us get stuck with the late bloomers/freeloaders. I'm losing my affection for these silly birds.

Here is Betty who is approx. 30 weeks according to the woman who sold her to me - still has yet to lay ANYTHING:(

103548_betty_30_weeks.jpg

And here is Lucile who is approx. 26 weeks. Still has no comb and looks like a baby!!!!! Was I totally taken for a ride on these???? It seems so to me...ugh.

103548_img_3335.jpg

And finally, here is one of my EE's who will be 20 weeks sometime in January.

103548_img_3340.jpg

My BCM, Cher, laid her first egg at about 28 weeks (maybe older), so your Betty might still give you an egg. I wouldn't get too worried yet. Cher's comb noticeably grew and darkened a week or so before she laid, so watch for that.

Betty is getting close to making her first deposit in the nest box. Good looking gals!

Quote:
This is very helpful! I had a feeling that she might lay late...but that seems very late. Maybe she'll give us a Christmas present! So you don't think I've been mislead as far as her age?

I feel your pain.... my first one (EE)started finally last week... at 7.5 months old (a brown egg, NOT blue or green). Another, a Gold Star started now as well (same age). I have 3 others that haven't started yet plus two 18 mo. olds that I rescued from a icky situation in September that haven't picked up laying again. I was told by the feed mill guy that I was spoiling them with too many treats. So, I only gave them their chicken feed, one week later our first egg! If they do get treats now they are high protein mealworms.
It will happen, but it's soooo hard to wait.

Quote:
This is very helpful! I had a feeling that she might lay late...but that seems very late. Maybe she'll give us a Christmas present! So you don't think I've been mislead as far as her age?

I don't feel you've been mislead. I'm still waiting for my Blue Copper at 32 weeks. Marans are known to take their time. Hang in there!!!! They're worth the wait!

I am with you. I bought some buff orpingtons from a lady back in the beginning of June who told me they were around 12wks old and should be laying soon. A stray dog attacked and killed all but one back in a couple of months ago, so I got two more adults from a local feed store that were over 4 months old. I haven't seen a single egg from any of them yet. My DH says they are slackers and that I have babied them too much. I have bought premium layer pellets, oyster shells, crickets, meal worms, scratch, new nest boxes, straw, bedding, and just about anything else I can think of to make them lay....Still NO EGGS!!! Not even a sign of wanting to lay an egg.

You should also take into account that it's winter and there is less daylight. Less daylight = less eggs. I expect after Dec 21 when the days get longer, my girls will start producing more. I have varying ages 12 weeks to 1.5 years. Only getting one a day from my EE and she just started at 26 weeks. So your not alone. Don't throw in the towel yet
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom