I have this diabolical plan

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I got two silkies this past spring for one reason and one reason only - I NEED a broody!!!

Already dreaming about spring and what new birds I'd like to have, knowing that one more bird on this farm could spell divorce for me. Except...DH said I could keep whatever my current chickens can hatch out.

How bad do you think a silkie mama would freak if half of her brood was turkeys and the other half ducks?
tongue.png

In my experience, Silkies do not seem to be to brilliant.

I would say you should do it, and move them to a brooder at hatching.

An egg is an egg, right?

Don't turkeys and ducks hatch at different days? A new broody mom would usually quit sitting after the first chick, maybe two... think you would do better sticking to one species in a clutch.

Quote:
Good point. Okay, so if both silkies turn out to be hens one will get the turkey eggs, the other one the duck eggs.

Nivtup said: In my experience, Silkies do not seem to be to brilliant.

Amen to that! I get a chuckle every time my other birds run off, leaving the silkie alone. Once it realizes that it's been left behind, it spins in circles and then heads off, usually in the wrong direction.
lol.png

Oh and the one silkie thinks he/she is a cornish X, so it should have no trouble hatching out some monster eggs.

One of my silkie hens sat on 2 blue jersey giant eggs. Only one hatched but it stayed with its momma in the silkie pen I didnt get any pictures but it was very funny to watch this huge chick trying to get under momma's wing That chick stayed in the silkie pen thinking that little silkie was its momma even after he towered over her.

Back
Top Bottom