I have three sick ducks...

keringordon

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2018
Casa Grande, AZ
I paid 300 at the vet who initially wanted 1000 for one duck who had a swelled leg...no bumblefoot. I got meds which did nothing. The swelling went from the top of the leg to the foot. Another duck has one really bad foot and being treated for bumblefoot but foot swelling has not gone down. Finally today another duck...a female, has a tumor like swelling on the side of her head. Do you think its a tumor.

I paid 300 at the vet who initially wanted 1000 for one duck who had a swelled leg...no bumblefoot. I got meds which did nothing. The swelling went from the top of the leg to the foot. Another duck has one really bad foot and being treated for bumblefoot but foot swelling has not gone down. Finally today another duck...a female, has a tumor like swelling on the side of her head. Do you think its a tumor.
Post pics, we can help you troubleshoot. No way for us to know exactly what it is though.

ducks
Post pics, we can help you troubleshoot. No way for us to know exactly what it is though.
I posted the pic below your post. I had to write the comment on the computer and the pics were on my phone. I suck at using the phone. Those are the head pics...I think it is a tumor...its hard and doesnt move. As for the feet...the vet in Tucson gave me oxytetracycline...and it did nothing. Im giving it cephalexen and going to Mexico tomorrow and getting a buttload of antibiotics. Not just for the ducks...but for rescues...no prescription needed and they are cheaper than here. One vet wanted 150.00 per duck...wtf? And that was just to walk into the door. I wish I still lived in Oklahoma where a vet charged you 20.00 for almost anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_154537739_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211207_154537739_MP.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211207_154524283_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211207_154524283_MP.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 5
ducks

I posted the pic below your post. I had to write the comment on the computer and the pics were on my phone. I suck at using the phone. Those are the head pics...I think it is a tumor...its hard and doesnt move. As for the feet...the vet in Tucson gave me oxytetracycline...and it did nothing. Im giving it cephalexen and going to Mexico tomorrow and getting a buttload of antibiotics. Not just for the ducks...but for rescues...no prescription needed and they are cheaper than here. One vet wanted 150.00 per duck...wtf? And that was just to walk into the door. I wish I still lived in Oklahoma where a vet charged you 20.00 for almost anything.
Yeah, Iean it certainly looks like a tumor. 😢 I don't know what you can do about it..
Yes vet care can be really expensive. Most of us can't justify spending that kind of money especially when there's a good chance it's not going to help anyway.
Baytril is a good antibiotic for birds and you can order that online.

Well the two ducks with the bad feet are getting better. I now have a pharmacy in my house filled with ten kinds of antibiotics...im ready to take on anything. The tumor or whatever is the same size and I cancelled my vet appt today to see if anything changes. I put one antibiotic in their water and they get to pills a day. I never had this problem growing up...but I got them from an old mexican couple who knew as much about ducks as I know about chimichangos.

Back
Top Bottom