I have to brag on our hen.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 5 Points Wingfeather, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 5 Points Wingfeather

5 Points Wingfeather In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2019
    We are new to chickens. Unfortunately we had to learn a lesson the hard way. I thought I had secured our coop, but when our chicks were little, a racoon opened the latch and ate all but one of our chicks. The one that was left, a BSL named "Lenny" is just a survivor. She's all alone--I have to find her a couple of friends--but in the absence of the others, she bonded with our dog and our family. She would come in the house if we would let her. Anyway, I just wanted to brag on her egg laying. She started laying at 21 weeks and she literally has not skipped a single day. I don't know how she will keep it up, but we are proud of her. The internet says you can expect 250-300 eggs a year from a BSL hen, and I'm sure at some point she'll slow down, but as of now, she's on pace for 365!

2. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    What a little trooper. I hope you can get her some friends soon.

5 Points Wingfeather likes this.
  3. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Songster

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    If she had friends, she might spend the night talking instead of laying eggs, just kidding. She is awesome...

5 Points Wingfeather and Waves like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: