I have to vent about my extremly traumatic experience.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Aug 21, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I really didn’t want to write this but I think it would help me grieve because the folks on this forum understand how much we can love our ducks. My Muscovy drake was 3 years old. He was my first duck so naturally he was my favorite. He was also my favorite because of his personality. He was hand raised by me as an ''only duck'' so naturally he thought I was his flock and he imprinted on me. He lived inside my house until he was about a month old following me around. When he was old enough to go outside he would wait by the door for me to come outside. He was always extremely happy, his tail wagged nonstop as well as his cheerful hissing and panting. Whenever I was outside he was always within 5 feet of me, where I went he went. I had to start putting him in his pen when I left the yard because he would follow the car down the road. When he was two years old I get two pekin so he could have companionship when I wasn’t home; both ducks were supposed to be females. It turned out that one was a male and one was a female and they wanted nothing to do with my Muscovy drake. When the pekins became of mating age the males started to fight. I don’t have room in my yard to build separate pens so I had to give the pekins away. Once they were rehomed I contacted a breeder and ordered a female Muscovy duckling. I wanted the female to imprint on the male so I made her brooder inside the males pen where they could watch each other but not touch. Around three months old I put the female in with the male and they were perfectly behaved. Not biting or fighting. I liked the female but she was nowhere near as friendly as the male. The thing about my drake is that he wasn’t scared of anything. I had to put him in his pen when I cut the grass so he wouldn’t chase the lawnmower. He was also very protective. Whenever I wore a new pair of shoes he would circle my feet and then but them very aggressively. Most of all he liked to chew on things. Rubber was his favorite. He would sit outside and naw away on the car tires. I had to go outside and make sure he didn’t follow when a car left my driveway. **GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW**

Yesterday afternoon a family member was leaving the drive way and like I normally do I went outside to make sure that the duck didn’t follow the car. I could not find my shoes so I got outside late. when I got outside I saw the car halfway up the drive way and my Muscovy drake laying on his back. When I got over to him he started thrashing and rolling around with blood coming out of him mouth. As soon as I saw him I knew he was going to die because of how he was acting and his injuries. Not wanting him to suffer I made the split second decision to put him out of his misery. The act causes me to much pain to describe. I buried him in a flower garden within the hour. At first I felt anger at the person who ran him over, then guilt because if I would have been outside sooner he would still be alive. Now the female Muscovy has been running around the yard looking for him since then. Needless to say I feel horrible. I don’t want the other duck to be alone but I also don’t want to get another duck because no duck could replace him so it looks as if I will have to re-home her. I don’t want to go outside because it reminds me of him. I don’t look out the window because I see his pen and know he won’t be using it anymore. It is sad to think that just over 24 hours ago he was alive and happy.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Oh I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

Do vent, it will help. Although cliche, it will get better with time. Do you have anyone who can take care of the female until you are feeling a bit better? Wait until you are ready and then decide if you will get another. And remember, you would not be and could not replace him but can maybe find another part of your heart to give to another.

3. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    [​IMG] I am so sorry this happened. I wish I had the words to make it better, but unfortunately it will take a little time to heal. Life is a series of events that just happen, sometimes good, other times bad. I think it was very courageous of you to put your beloved duck out of his misery, I am not to sure many people would have been able to act so quickly or humanely. I hope that the memories that make you sad today, will turn into ones that make you smile in the near future when you think of him.

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    How traumatic. I'm so sorry that this has happened. You did the right thing to end his pain - that must have been one of the hardest things ever. You must be feeling so lonely and grief-stricken [​IMG]

If you can wait a week or so to make a decision about your hen that might be good. Don't rush it.

5. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I am so so so so sorry. I know how loosing a pet feels and how utterly lost you feel when they are gone. Last January, our two year old "1/2 human" border collie was hit by the horse boarder's car And killed(they board at my neighbors). They were going way too fast by OUR driveway. I am still fuming while I tell this because that dog was the best dog we ever had. Just so sad and I am SO sorry for your loss. The only two ways I know how you can heal is: time, and: getting another duck. When our border c. died less than a week later we had another puppy and believe me it was very hard to accept this pup. I kept accidentely comparing her to the one that died and i would get angery at the poor pup just because she wasn't like my oter dog. But now I am in love with the pup (not much of a pup anymore). Getting another duck won't be replacing your favorite duck. It will make that emptiness in your heart go away that much faster.

I hope I have helped I am very sad for you.

6. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

My heart is broken for you. big hugs. Don't feel guilt over this as things happen outside of our control. I pray there is a heaven where our critters can play and wait for us

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    My heart is so broken for you! It is always hard to know what to say, because no words can express how heart sick we all are upon hearing about your news. I feel so bad for you.

Just know that he was aweseome because of YOU and the life you gave him and how you treated him. Any duck would be lucky to come into your home again to be a mate with your female.

So sorry.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Calgal thanks for that link..[​IMG] and for you K4zn4v3 many [​IMG]

9. DonaldFan

DonaldFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is never easy and such a traumatic loss makes it even harder. However, don't think of getting another duck as replacing him. Rather, think of it as honoring him by sharing your love with another.

Jenn

10. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    What a terrible thing to happen! I always check and double check before I back down the driveway. My youngest daughter has a Muscovy drake raised from an egg, hand fed, and totally spoiled. We named him Stompy, because he would march up to the refrigerator and stomp his little feet at the anticipation of food. They're very devoted to each other, so I can only imagine how bad it would be if something were to happen to him. So sorry for your loss. If you lived nearby (we're in south Florida), we could give you one of our new ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by