I have to vent! Disaster AGAIN!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, May 2, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm so sick and tired of everything going wrong with my chickens. I've lost so many of my young ones lately. It's sooooo fustrating.

After getting a 3/30 hatch, 2 trampled chicks, 2 squished chicks.

Then my living chick that lived for weeks after getting squished and was my favorite finally died yesterday.

After my last horrible hatch I started a new ones after coming up with ways to improve, and understand what happened. On day 18 I had 29/30 chicks living. But I had to go away for a few days to a government class. Well my mom was in charge with strict insructions, not to touch a thing. Well the humidity got up to 68% and she thought that was too high. SO She opened the bator several times. [​IMG] ALL DIED!!! Except one adorable EE chick. Cutest ever. I can't believe my mom could kill 28 chicks that were a day or two from hatching. I mean some even zipped and pipped!

Well now that little EE had to go in with my other week older chicks. And it just isn't big enough to keep from getting trampled. And it won't eat very much, or drink much. And I'm getting worried. I tried sperating it, but it got scared, and I think it would stress it too much. So I just put another chick the smallest I had but it's still twice it's size. And I was trying to get the chick to drink, and something started falling and I had my hands full , but it was about to smush all my others. So I reached out to grab it. And the chick jumped out of my hands and fell on it's back while I was distracted. Now I feel terrible. And am scared it's going to die too now. Cause last time a chick was dropped a foot it died. Not to mention this chick was already not doing so well. And if it dies I will cry and cry. It is the cutest chick I ever seen. And it was the only one to make it.

And I'm just not sure what to anymore. My poor babies. Life is just not fair to them.!! [​IMG] And now I am leaving on vacation in a few days. And I am soooo freaked to leave them all with someone else. Cause I know something will happen and I will loose some. And gah! I want to rip my hair out.

2. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Not to mention the death of half of my Polish chicks. Which I posted days ago.

And my new duckling which has a twisted leg and I don't know what to do with. I don't know if it will live okay.

Things just aren't looking up for my flock.

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you haven't had any luck lately. [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    sorry things aren't going well. If it makes you feel any better....I was carrying a box of chicks down stairs to the *big brooder* cuz I needed the little brooder for my batch that was hatching. I got stuck on something at the bottom of the stairs and almost fell, lost the box. I dropped them 2.5-3 feet, only lost one....the rest were running everywhere, no injuries. I still felt horrible about the one but was thankful the other 10 were fine. good luck [​IMG]

5. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Yeah. I just feel so terrible. [​IMG] Your poor little babies. At least you only lost one and not 65.

Wah! I've lost 65 chicks in the past month. How is that even possible

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix a duckling with a leg that is twisted in? I would really like to not loose him too.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I got my Blue Mille Fleur D'uccles from Ideal all are good(so far not to jenix myself) and I was putting them in my outside brooder and one fell out and I didnt even know it, and my dog grabbed it I just happened to notice it and grabbed it before it ate it and then another one fell out! Im sorry for your loss![​IMG]

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I lost alot last year shipped eggs and shipped chicks..It gets very frustrating...but i tried agian this year and things are going great only lost one shipped chick and eggs are hatching well,except my light sussex eggs [​IMG]....
    But over all compaired to last year its going great...
    So dont give and know your not alone...

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    So sorry you are having such a hard time. I think it comes and goes in waves, I had a few really bad hatchs but they are usually followed by a few god one. Hang in there it will get better.

10. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    So sorry for your losses! [​IMG] It is discouraging.
    Chicks are actually very fragile in many ways and it is not hard to lose them at all. One germ can wipe out a batch and you won't even know they are sick. A chill can shut them down.
    Hang in there ... it does get better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by