I have tried everything - please help!

Hyline

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
Western Australia
Hi all, I am new to this forum and need some help with my pet rooster. He is a big (very big) 3 year old leghorn cross something that I got as a 3 month old cockeral as he was going to be someone's dinner.

He was very aggressive when I first got him and we worked through this, and he ended up becoming my buddy, and very cuddly. In the last year he has become mean again, but much, much worse. He also has spurs now. He had to be taken away from the hens as he was so rough and mean with them and would not allow me in the coop!!

He is now cooped alone and away from them for their safety and mine, but his behaviour is no better. He wants me dead. I cannot feed or water him without being attacked - he bites and spurs me. He has drawn blood on many occasions, and my legs are all bruised. It really hurts!!

If I free range him during the day he will charge out of nowhere and attack me. I have tried picking him up (which I do anyway, once I have a hold of him he is a sook and I kiss and cuddle him and he is fine) as soon as I put him down he goes me again. I have tried hosing him when he runs at me (made him worse) chasing him with a towel, booting him, nothing worked. I tried letting him attack me and then picking him up (ouch!!) no change.

In desperation I even tried herbs - chaste tree berry and chamomile - no change :( He wing dances at me and my husband, in fact everyone, and flings himself against the mesh of his coop if he cannot attack us physically.

I am really over being covered in big bruises and cuts! But for some weird, sick reason I am really attached to this chook, and still love him. What can I do? Should I off him? My avian vet suggested a hormone implant to calm his behaviour, has anyone tried this? I know it would make him a bit of a 'she-male' but at least he would be alive and I would not be getting ripped to shreds. WOuld you try this or not?

Any suggestions gratefully received. My lovely hens would never dream of hurting me!!

ETA pic of the boy below - taken during safer and happier times :( just to add - I took in another rooster that needed a home for a short time, he ended up in the pot as he attacked the girls. He has been gone for some time now. My roo's behaviour got worse after that - could he be angry with me for getting another roo and still not have forgiven me?

Last edited:
If you do some searches on here you'll find methods for training roosters. One member also has a blog, but I can't recall his name. There's an article in Mother Earth News online that discusses "choosing your battles" with them. Training roos is a controversial issue for many on this forum. However, I had good success by pushing my rooster down on the ground using pressure on his back and neck for a few seconds or longer, until he relaxed and "gave up." This is not a violent or hurtful method, just a firm no-nonsense show of domination as one roo would do to another. I had read up on what to do and immediately started training my roo at the first sign of aggression at about 5 months and this nipped it in the bud. HIs only transgressions have been when I entered the coop with very unusual clothing or footwear. Try always wearing the same thing when you deal with him.

Because your rooster has an established pattern of aggression, you not only have to overcome his natural defensive behavior but the ingrained habit of attacking. It may take a long time to instill a new habit. I would wear protective clothing, de-spur, and ensure other people are never exposed to him. I would also (try) frequently entering his turf without stimulating a confrontation. Just step inside, hang out, to the side, and observe, so he is not always expecting a battle. Reduce habitual defensiveness this way. Good luck and be safe!

Last edited:
Thank you :) yes I do not want to start a fight or anything lol, but so many people have said 'just off him' and I would really rather not until I have exhausted all avenues. I also really feel sick inside at the thought of hurting him so my attempts to fend him off are usually pretty pathetic :S So it is possible then to train him out of this behaviour? And possibly my loving him and cuddling him has given him the wrong idea.. he used to make love to my foot :/ He is my first rooster.

Sorry you're going through this
hugs.gif
I don't really have much advice for you though. But while your training him, wear rainboots (not red) and jeans, or something, to protect your legs!

one thing you could try is catching him and leaning on him enough that he lies down when you get us he should stay ont he ground lay down its a sign that he is calm, ive started with mine as my rooster has started attacking him "mum" and hedoes the same thing to her jumps on her back and forces her to the floor and gets of and stays ther watching she doesnt move a muscle so i do the same thing back to him like you would a dog make them stay lying down , when he gets up he seems to be much calmer and not int he mood to go chasing his myum from the top of the pecking order and he doesnt bother meat all . its worth a try just make sure when you move he does not get straight uup if he does put him back to the floor and wait for his breathing to calm and thenslowly release him and walk away slowly still facinghim hewill get up slower and calmer hopefully with a little more respect for you

there are afew old post on here somewhere of poeple trying to do the same take a search and hopefully you may findsome answers

Thanks everyone - I let him out for a free range this morning (feeling brave lol) and when he ran at me I pinned him down on his back with my (gloved!!) hand - he kicked up a real stink and then when he was still I let him go. He ran off looking furious but didn't have another go. No doubt he will - but I guess it'll be a case of consistency and time to change his behaviour, as has been said. I also have stopped giving him his food bowl while he is being aggressive and made him stand quietly and hten he got it, as he is at his worst around food and his coop - I guess as it is his territory.

I would like to have hens for him but I am not putting my girls at risk of his bad temper. I am considering getting a big goose to range with him and keep him in line - something he can't bully!

I am hoping to keep up with the suggestions given to me here and hopefully I will get my nice friendly rooster back. I don't know if he was a late bloomer and did the 5 month old jekyll and hyde turnaround at 2 years or not!! But really want to give him every opportunity to change.

My husband thinks I am in an abusive relationship with my chicken lol - saying he's always sorry afterwards and it must have been something I did!

Whenever a rooster attacks another rooster a fight ensues. When he attacks you he's petted and cued so he'll please be sweet. He does not understand people thinking. The only way you will get through to him is to show him you are a meaner rooster than he is. When he loses a fight and is overpowered like you just have just shown him, he will get the point and just be a rooster instead of a stupid one.
smile.png
Time and a good right gloved hand.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom