I have two dozen chickens in my house.

I just put 46 chicks, 2 turkeys, and 2 ducks in my living room this morning. Got an unexpected call and my brooder is being utilized outside by some 4 week olds, and the coop already has some hens in it, so into my living room they went until I figure out something better.

Less than a week old and now that they have absorbed their yolks and are pooing the feed, it is getting stinky fast in the 17x17x17 brooder box! I have them on papertowels on wire and change out the paper towels 3-4 times a day and change the waterer too as they poo in that. That is upstairs in the main living areas we walk through and the scent is lingering unfavorably!

The previous hatch is 2-3 weeks old and they are in a large cardboard box with the flaps taped upright, a brooder lamp and screen over the top and wood chips inside with their food and waterer. It is in the basement.

I raised 18 down there the same way and now that they are 10 weeks old, they are almost as big as grown chickens, dust, feed, and feathers, and poo all over down there. I sweep it up and haul it away, but it is NOT NICE. Fortunately 12 left for a new home. But these guys are in my tornado safe place and I need it now that tornado season is here as the sirens went off already this week. So busy getting that outdoor grow out pen finished. They should have been outside on Mother's Day when the temps got nicer and they were feathered in and acclimated!

NOT a fan of chickens in the house. TOO STINKY! But then I don't get to see this, either!
sad.png

83091_cat_tv_web.jpg

Ha ha what a pic! That baby in the foreground looks like it's looking at the cat saying "What are YOU looking at?!"

At least you guys had them in the basement and garage and such:) I converted my master bathroom at one time into a brooder and had near 30 chicks in it:)

Doesn't sound strange to me....I have 28 in the house on a permanent basis. The cool thing, no one can tell I have that many. Of course I spend 24/7 cleaning, but they are worth it
big_smile.png

Right now sitting in two brooders are 24 meat kings and 20 brown layers.. in my BEDROOM... good thing my bedroom is big.. and Hubby really needs to get in gear and get the coop finished since he ordered them... thinking i would be over joyed which i am i wanted them but then again he's had 3 months to finish the coop too
roll.png
hmm.png

We have 12 in one big rubbermaid bin and 3 more in another in the dining room! They are 2.5 weeks, and the others are about 4 weeks. Stinky and noisy! BUT.....I don't want to move them to the basement wither because we love to interact with them. Too much rain here in St. Louis.....can't get that coop finished!!! Pray for some dry heat!

We let them out in a makeshift pen in the yard when we are out there to watch them and they have a ball. They are tired of the brooder! The brooder is boring!
wee.gif

I have 10, 6.5 week old pullets in a large wire crate in my laundry room. Luckily, during the day they can free-range outside. However, rainy days not cool. The smell........I love Yankee Candle! Hoping the coop gets finished soon!

Tonight I only have six chickens in my house. Belvedere Buffington and his little harem of three BOs and two Dominiques are only a couple weeks old, so they get to stay a bit longer. The rest of my little winged pigs have moved to the coop! WooHoo!!!

Back
Top Bottom