I have two hens not going in the hen house before the door closes at night and temps are getting really cold...

Marciob

Chirping
Sep 21, 2022
I live in Utah and its getting cold. Suddenly I have 2 hens that aren't getting in the coop before the door closes. This just started this week. I added a light to go on for a couple of hours after the automatic door closes, but this is the only change. I don't want to leave them out all night, any advice how to get these ladies to go back in on their own?

I live in Utah and its getting cold. Suddenly I have 2 hens that aren't getting in the coop before the door closes. This just started this week. I added a light to go on for a couple of hours after the automatic door closes, but this is the only change. I don't want to leave them out all night, any advice how to get these ladies to go back in on their own?
Where do they roost when they are not roosting in the coop?

Outside the door, there is a roosting bar, and that's where I have found them at night. Its the only time I've ever seen them on it. During the day, they are never on it. Should I take it out for now?

So, I thought I had this problem solved. NOPE! Now I between 5/6 to 6/6 hens not getting in the coop before the door closes. I don't know what to do. The auto door closes around 5:30 and I have a light turning on in the coop at 6:00. Did this some how mess up their clock? Also, should I not let them run around the 12X12 for a few days and keep them under the coop area? I'm lost!

Back
Top Bottom