I have two muscovy ducks suffering from niacin deficancy

Maheenpadilla23

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
I have just bought two 3 month old muscovy ducks they are both males and this evening I went to give them food and let them run around and swim but both of them tried coming out of there house and both flopped one of them has now thankfully now starting to recover from the deficancy and he can now walk around but still fall aftee a while the second one was in critical condition earlier he could not stand even but I took him inside warmed him up as I thought he was sick from the cold but its still not minus temperatures yet but I gave him food and water I put corn and meal worms in his food so at this point I don't know what to do he now standing but slightest of bump he just falls to the ground someone please help me out in new to this duck business and I'm really worried about them both

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new additions.

Would you mind taking a video of the duck, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

Are the legs angled at all, is there any swelling, discoloration, or sores on the ducks legs?

Would you mind taking a video of the duck, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

Are the legs angled at all, is there any swelling, discoloration, or sores on the ducks legs?
Both of them have pale pinky feet no sores anywhere the really sick ones fewt have gone on like pigeon feet

Both of them have pale pinky feet no sores anywhere the really sick ones fewt have gone on like pigeon feet

Similar to this?

1606780837809.png

Is the sick one eating, or drinking? How does it's poop look?

H

[/QU t
Here's the link thank you for getting back ASAP

Similar to this?

View attachment 2431938

Is the sick one eating, or drinking? How does it's poop look?
He's eating alot I personally think it's because he is trying to regain its strength but I'm not sure as I'm new to ducks the feet are the exact colour but they are closed as you can see in the video I've put down a towel instead of the hay to keep him warm and so the woodshabings don't give him splinters

He's eating alot I personally think it's because he is trying to regain its strength but I'm not sure as I'm new to ducks the feet are the exact colour but they are closed as you can see in the video I've put down a towel instead of the hay to keep him warm and so the woodshabings don't give him splinters

Thanks for the video.

Is it just the one duck that has curled in feet, or do some of the others have it as well?

Thanks for the video.

Is it just the one duck that has curled in feet, or do some of the others have it as well?
Just the one duck has it the other one did to but he's doing better he's still struggling but his feet aren't curled the sick ones feet keep curling and sometimes they are fine Im really worried I don't want him to leave me

The curling of the toes your seeing could be related to a nutritional problem, such as a deficiency in niacin (B3), or a deficiency, in Riboflavin (B2). Another common cause for curling of the toes in ducks is improper environmental conditions such as keeping them on slippery flooring.

For the duck, who's having problems I would consider wrapping her feet with bandaging to correct the curling in the toes and also start her on B vitamins. For the bandage, you could cut out a cardboard base for structure, add padding over top of that, and use vet wrap to wrap it around her foot. Any bandage that helps keep the toes flat, and not curved will suffice.

1606781665442.png
1606781706537.png

For B vitamins, you could use Vitamin B complex pills containing niacin, and riboflavin, or pick up some Cattle B Complex Injectable and offer her 1ml over treats once a day. In addition, feed the ducks a feed formulated for waterfowl, or all poultry such as Purina Flock Raiser, or Mazuri feed. Make sure the ducks are able to get outside on green grass and are allowed to bathe daily in deep water.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...uymkiLjJlinxUx_A6O-zvHbbWx2RFOz8aAp62EALw_wcB

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.75862/

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-flock-raiser-crumbles

Back
Top Bottom