I have worms in my Eggs? Help!!!!!

First, I'd want to have a better idea of what was actually in that egg. I see folks post all kinds of things on here they think are in the eggs, then when they post a picture it's just a meat spot or something like that. I'm sure you can't get a pic or anything at this point, but I'd personally not treat, cause I'm not into giving potentially harmful medications when they're not needed. I'd ask your customers to please photo anything funky they see in an egg so you can monitor your chicken's health. Your customers want eggs from healthy hens!

If no one else has seen a worm, and you don't see any in the poop, and your birds are in good condition, active, glossy feathers and eating well, I'd just consider it a one off and continue to monitor your flock like you always do.

This is what I was going to point out...it could just be a meat spot, or extra chalaza(? I think that's what it's called), the white stuff attached to the yolk. If you just heard it from a buyer, they might not know what they are looking at.

I have been selling eggs for 3 years now but I recently got a message from one of my buyers saying they found a worm in their egg, I didn't think it was possible but after doing some research I found out it can happen, I read that if you do find a worm in an egg it means you are not taking care of you chickens very well, I try to do what I can but because of where the coop is it will get quite muddy (the floor is clay) and I have to work really hard to keep it dry!

Like I said before the floor is clay so there aren't any little pebbles to eat and I am thinking maybe the reason why there are worms in my eggs is because there aren't any pebbles for them to eat?

Is there a way to get rid of the worms without using drugs?
I am going to start giving them DE and ACV will that help at all?
I am also thinking of giving them garlic powder.

I give my chickens clean water everyday and Ostershell twice a day(It disappears within 20 minutes)

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can put on the floor to make it more dry?
I agree with donrae. People who don't know much about chickens can think all kinds of things are scary, when in fact they are absolutely normal.

Don't give garlic powder! Garlic and onion will change your eggs' flavor, and not in a good way.

If you've never dewormed your chickens before, I personally would just bite the bullet and deworm them, and throw out the eggs for two weeks. We deworm twice a year, and try to time the deworming with fall and spring moults so that we don't have to throw out so many eggs. Hens can pick up parasites no matter how well-cared for they are.

You must be dealing with tapeworms, if so, they are difficult to get rid of. Purchase Zimectrin Gold equine paste wormer and give a regular "pea" size amount orally to standard size birds, a small "pea" size amount to smaller birds. Then repeat dosing again 10 days later. You can put the paste on a small piece of bread, give the treated bread to one chicken at a time, if you dont the others will steal the bread. Then you'll never know which ones got dosed. It's best to seperate them and administer it one at a time individually.
We have already started to give them your formula for Valbazen, for treat them with 1cc, than wait 5 days and treat again, and then in another 5days. Should we continue with this and see if this works first, before changing treatment in med stream? We also withheld food for 24 hrs. before dose. We know they are tapeworms, but it has taken so long and so many doses of Valbazen until we read your way of treat, then wait 5days treat, and wait 5 days and treat, and we are hoping this will do it. We never treated that close. I think we waited to long between doses. I think we didn't get the eggs. After we do this, how long do you go before you worm them again, to keep a maintenance for them.

Valbazen will not treat tapeworms, so you will need to treat as Dawg suggested to get rid of them. This can be done in addition to the Valbazen.

If you are not sure if your birds have internal parasites, rather than the wait-and-see approach I would recommend taking a fecal sample to a vet and having it checked. They will look for the microscopic eggs of parasites. The only time you actually see worms pass is with a heavy infestation, or with tapeworms. Your birds can have substantial infestations without any obvious signs.

Valbazen will not treat tapeworms, so you will need to treat as Dawg suggested to get rid of them. This can be done in addition to the Valbazen.

If you are not sure if your birds have internal parasites, rather than the wait-and-see approach I would recommend taking a fecal sample to a vet and having it checked. They will look for the microscopic eggs of parasites. The only time you actually see worms pass is with a heavy infestation, or with tapeworms. Your birds can have substantial infestations without any obvious signs.
Valbazen (Albendazole) DOES kill tapeworms:
http://japr.fass.org/content/16/3/392.full
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

A fecal sample to a vet is best.

Last edited:
You are setting yourself up to develop parasites that are resistant to regularly available drugs by blindly deworming the entire flock frequently. I highly recommend testing a portion of your flock. In some states the testing may be free, depending on their poultry programs. If not, price is generally $15-20 per fecal.

For those that routinely deworm 1-2X year, you are probably okay. But deworming the entire flock isn't the ideal strategy. And frequent, repeated deworming with the same product is just about the worst strategy. Unfortunately, GI parasites of backyard poultry is not a high priority for researchers. So I'm not sure "best practices" are really known at this time. However, you can never go wrong by testing first.

You are setting yourself up to develop parasites that are resistant to regularly available drugs by blindly deworming the entire flock frequently. I highly recommend testing a portion of your flock. In some states the testing may be free, depending on their poultry programs. If not, price is generally $15-20 per fecal.

For those that routinely deworm 1-2X year, you are probably okay. But deworming the entire flock isn't the ideal strategy. And frequent, repeated deworming with the same product is just about the worst strategy. Unfortunately, GI parasites of backyard poultry is not a high priority for researchers. So I'm not sure "best practices" are really known at this time. However, you can never go wrong by testing first.
I agree there are many problems with resitant parisites popping up in the equine world. If they are showing signs of illness treat but if they seem fine then don't just give them meds because the calander says so. I mean you worm the animal and it goes around the corner and eats its friends poo....they are never parasite free. You need to select for animals that can handle the parasite load in your area.

I agree with testing...IF it's available and affordable in your area. Wormers should be rotated, then no worries about resistance. Worming the whole flock at once is best, if their feet touch the ground they will get worms.

I agree with testing...IF it's available and affordable in your area. Wormers should be rotated, then no worries about resistance. Worming the whole flock at once is best, if their feet touch the ground they will get worms.
That's why I was asking for help! We live out in the country away from any town. The nearest Vet knows nothing about chickens. I already called him for help. I am getting nothing from him so I am on my own. Thank you dawg for all your help. The tapeworms are begining to get less and less, so we are getting a handle on them. We have done a lot of cleaning in their run and we will watch the ants when they come this summer. We have a lot of problems with them, living out here in the high desert. We learned if you put cornmeal in their holes they take it down and they all die. Figure that won't hurt the girls if they get into it. Thanks again for all your help!!!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom