I heard an outside bird today that shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Reinbeau, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I was out in the yard chicken-watching when I heard a bird singing - I think it was a canary. Beautiful little tune it was whistling. Poor thing, it won't last the winter around here. I know the bird song around here, this was definitely foreign - and reminded me of my grandmother's canaries, so I'm pretty sure what I heard.

One day when I was driving down the road I saw a beautiful flash of turquoise blue - in with a flock of sparrows, a little canary was flying with them, part of the flock. It was sweet that it had that bit of freedom, but the poor things just aren't hardy enough to make it around here.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Could it be someone's lost pet?
    We saw a cockatiel once in the middle of winter here. Scrounged up an old bird cage and filled the feeder with food, leaving the door open. He went in the next day.
    He was returned to his owner.

3. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

You never know! I'm in New Jersey, and while it's not New England, it can get pretty brutal here, too. There are flocks of parakeets in New Jersey, year after year. They've actually become a nuisance in Edgewater, NJ.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    My mother in law found a canary that was lost, and had him for several years, nobody ever claimed him. See if you can catch him, or you could at least ask around to see if someone is looking for him, and point them in the right direction...

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have put the word out, we'll see. Mind you I didn't see it, I heard it. Those woods are thick. I do have bird feeders out, maybe it'll come up to one of them.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have had a cardinal hanging out in my gazebo for the past week or so. She is hibernating in an abandoned nest in the rafters. I am not sure if they are in right place or not!!! I hope your canary finds its way to kinder temps!!!

7. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    How is a canary blue? I thought they were yellow.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:There are several different colors.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We actually have little flocks of parrots and budgies that live outside around here.

10. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by