I HEARD THAT

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherrychicken, Aug 26, 2008.

1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    you shouldn't eat the first few eggs you get b/c they are "practice eggs" is this true?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, that's not true. You can eat the very first eggs they lay.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Rhetorical: And where does this "stuff" come from? [​IMG]

Yes, you can eat every shelled egg that your hens lay. You can eat a soft shell egg (if you can pick it up). Or you can scramble it and feed it back to the hens.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    oh, it came from a former friend who has all sorts figures and facts! thanks, even so, i might blow the yolk out and keep it as a keep sake

5. Chicken Love Addiction

Chicken Love Addiction Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Salem, OR
    Quote:I did this too! It was my very very first egg ever! Although I did still scramble the egg and eat it! [​IMG]

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    cherrychicken, my question was rhetorical - I wasn't expecting an answer. You are about the 4th or 5th person to ask this question this month! I just wondered (aloud to myself) if someone had just published a new book with this written in it.

I have a friend who blew out the first eggs, washed them, dried them and put them on a shelf in her kitchen. She has a great collection of first eggs from her 65 pullets.

We just took pics and measured the first pullet eggs, put the info into the flock journal and ate the eggs.

Enjoy!

7. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Quote:I did this too! It was my very very first egg ever! Although I did still scramble the egg and eat it! [​IMG]

i also did that with the first egg "chickinzie" laid...but the shell was SO thick i had to use a tiny drill bit to drill a hole in it so i could get the stuff out lol.
    from wht i have found, a pullet egg has enough "shell" to go around a jumbo egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by