I hit my rooster in the head what do I do

A Roo,Dog or any other animal can be aggressive to the point of hurting someone. I am personally very new to chickens and would LOVE more info on your methods! I accidentally got a Roo and do not want him to become the boss haha!

Some people say don't handle them, others say DO handle them. My vet said frequent handling should help. Also learn about rooster body language and what they see as threatening (following them around can seem threatening, someone said if you are walking behind them and they start turning and watching you and walking away walk AROUND them so they don't interpret your actions as aggressive). Seems to me I see the same type of pack/body language in chickens that dogs often display, and with aggressive dogs one learns about body language out of necessity. Same principles apply to roosters, learn how to seem non-threatening.

I also got a "surprise" little roo, I made sure to handle him much MORE starting at 5 weeks when I realized he was male and I have to say I am pleased with how things are going. He is only about 4 months old now but much more mellow and enjoys being held. I am not worried about being attacked by a rooster as much as not being able to ever handle him especially if he needs his spurs trimmed etc...

I also spend time with my flock (pull up a chair and sit outside with them for a bit each evening). They see me as the provider of good treats and usually gather around me to hang out. They do not see me as "an evil egg stealer that only violates their space and disrupts the flock".

Last edited:
Yikes - being spurred is no fun and can turn into a nasty wound. You have to defend yourself so don't feel guilty - you didn't do it to be mean or cruel. You're more important than the chicken. I think I'd put him out of your misery. Permanently. Good luck.
hugs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The pecking now is exploratory and looking for food. What we must avoid is having him learn that doing such gets him more food faster. That must be maintained throughout life. Many man-fighters I have seen started out that way.

What you want to be watching for is pecking and flogging and possibly a deeper set of more throaty vocalizations. Have you seen such directed towards you by birds in the past? Any chickens?

P.S. the is evolving into a dichotomous key.

What I think could be done is to generate a "cook book" procedure that includes what to do when a rooster gets sassy. It could include and actual reference to a cook book if all else fails.

I have not had to give away any roos due to attack, except one bantam roo.

I have not had consistent luck with handling as babies. It seems that most of my challengers have been when roos get hormonal and cocky. Think like a rooster. An alpha rooster does not back down. Walk towards him as he comes toward you. Wear thick jeans. Keep making him move for about 15-20 minutes once or twice a day. Continue making Him move. Do not let him drink or eat or mate or even look you straight in the eye. This takes me 3-7 days of consistency. If you take a step back, you've lost. if you hit him, it's a challenge. You are alpha roo and he has to do what you say, he can't look you in the eye, he can't walk head on toward you, just sideways sortof. He eats last, he roosts last.

Unless you have no control of him attacking a child. It's not worth the injury he can cause to a child. I have had my Grandchild at the age of 9 be able to walk in to a pen of 5 teenage Jersey Giants and give them bread without a problem. Another time, a silkie roo (haha) attacked her and I taught her stalking, and now it's her favorite chicken. I hope this works for you. It gains you respect and not fear of you. I'd rather that they accept me as the boss.

Last edited:
Below are situations where pecking order is not the motivation for attacks. These are indicated as in addition to that indicated by Sonya9.

First involves fully adult roosters is how your actions impact the hens and chicks of the rooster's harem. My games are most likely to attack you when you scare his offspring or their mother. His efforts will not be about dominance, rather repelling a threat and it is with that which motivates the attacks to the face. First avoid stressing those hens and chicks. This means no grabbing or chasing members of his harem during the day. If he does attack, do not respond. I like to freeze up and if need be cover my face. Your lack of moving will cause him to calm down. Over time the rooster and the harem will calm. Frequent non-threatening interactions as part of everyday routine help suppress such aggression. Remember you are much bigger than the chicken so try to consider how your actions in a given setting might be interpreted as a threat.

The following circumstance is where a rooster learns by accident that he can make you give out food by interacting with you. My American Dominiques have a love affair with food that has not violated the "3-second rule". As I walk down yard applying feed the birds keep racing to the most recently dropped pile of feed leaving the piles previously put out with little or no birds working them. They quickly associate me and bucket with those fresh piles and sometimes begin to get interested in the actual contents of the bucket. The excitement can promote you wanting to through more feed out to get them away and that excites them more. It does not take long for them to explore whatever means needed to get your to put out more fresh feed and sometimes they can really ratchet up their efforts. I have had some roosters that would flat out flog me just to get food and as far as I could tell they were not producing sounds or posture indicative of aggression beyond contacting me with bill, wings and legs. This type is also related to interactions you might have with young birds when feeding by hand your pet birds.

Think about the situations I described. The birds can learn. They can also hold a grudge. And finally they can learn not to attack because it is a waste of time and you can be taught not to push the rooster's button's once you now what they are.

I've had plenty of aggressive roosters. Keep their spurs rounded at the ends, if not for your sake, for the hens. If one can't handle an aggressive rooster, then they probably shouldn't have chickens. A flock without a rooster has a greater chance of squabbling hens inflicting damage to each other. The rooster keeps order, breaks up fights, and alerts the hens to predators. That's not chauvinistic, that is nature from what I've observed.

Dumb question here. Why are you keeping the Rooster? If you want eggs, you do not need a Roo. If you want meat you do not need a Roo. I do not imagine there is mush of an emotional bond if you are afraid of him. I would just get rid of him. The same concept applies to Roosters as dogs or cats, if you are afraid of them, they can sense it. It is not fair to either one of you to have fear of the other. Life should be enjoyable for you both.

I am not saying that people should not keep Roosters, I love mine! Prince William is very pretty, and he is very sweet. I would not trade him for anything. I am only saying that keeping a Rooster is not something you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom