I hit my rooster in the head what do I do

Didn't offend me. I draw the line at children and my hens.

I let my rooster loose on misbehaved children to teach them a lesson, muahahahaaa. Seriously though, toddlers should not be around them in the first place. It would be negligent to allow it. If I could deal with aggressive roosters at 7-8 years old, any other kid should be able to if taught properly by a parent. If one doesn't want to take the chance with their own kids, tell them not to get near them. Sort of like not touching a hot stove, you'll get burned. If you really want to teach those trouble makin' kids a lesson, put them in a pen with a Tom, lol.
gig.gif
(joking, of course...)

Last edited:
I let my rooster loose on misbehaved children to teach them a lesson, muahahahaaa. Seriously though, toddlers should not be around them in the first place. It would be negligent to allow it. If I could deal with aggressive roosters at 7-8 years old, any other kid should be able to if taught properly by a parent. If one doesn't want to take the chance with their own kids, tell them not to get near them. Sort of like not touching a hot stove, you'll get burned. If you really want to teach those trouble makin' kids a lesson, put them in a pen with a Tom, lol.
gig.gif
(joking, of course...)
Sometimes my kids want to come into the run with me, I'd like for my 6 and 7 year olds to be able to collect eggs, but so far, all they do is agrevate the rooster, he doesn't seem to like them much, working on them, and him, eventually he'll see they are just like me. I accidentally provoked him this morning too, he was on edge, and I reached out to touch him, usually he'd run away, today he jumped and scared me, as soon as I pulled my hand back, he was fine, we did our usual stare down (basically me making sure he's not gonna jump me as soon as I have my back turned, and him making sure I really am gonna leave him alone.

Sometimes my kids want to come into the run with me, I'd like for my 6 and 7 year olds to be able to collect eggs, but so far, all they do is agrevate the rooster, he doesn't seem to like them much, working on them, and him, eventually he'll see they are just like me. I accidentally provoked him this morning too, he was on edge, and I reached out to touch him, usually he'd run away, today he jumped and scared me, as soon as I pulled my hand back, he was fine, we did our usual stare down (basically me making sure he's not gonna jump me as soon as I have my back turned, and him making sure I really am gonna leave him alone.

When you put your hand down to their head level, they are more likely to take that as a challenge. If you watch two cocks face off you will know what I mean. Stay above them. Children can be spastic if you don't tell them to calm down and respect the flock. I walk through the yard and coops regularly and have a particularly protective and territorial California Gray rooster. He follows me close, but generally doesn't spur me. If he does I laugh at him since I wear boots and jeans. His spurs are rounded so he can't prick me. Sometimes I tell him he's being stupid, and when he flies at me, I catch him, and pick him up, supporting his body. I may carry him around doing other one-handed chores, and eventually put him down. In that case I won the role of dominance. I notice that he keeps his distance after I set him back on the ground. I will offer him hand treats to show I am the hand that feeds. Usually, if you walk calmly, carry yourself with authority as if you don't mind what the rooster is doing, he will not hassle you too much. Following closely is not worthy of being caught. He's just establishing his domain. If he attacks, reach out and pick him up. You would appreciate this type of rooster if a predator was in pursuit of his hens. Roosters are supposed to be tough. We have to allow it and be in control also in the yard, when it comes to our interaction with the flock. The rooster is boss of the flock.

I had a rooster that went after a bobcat. Luckily I was there, and the rooster survived. I loved that rooster and he had my respect.

Ok I must say I have the coolest rooster ever. His name is doodlebug he is fabulous to his girls never been aggressive to me or my kids. He is a year and ahalf. Even my 5 year old gets to collect eggs. His only flaw. His cock a doodle do sounds like he is under water lol. I had to weed through a.few bad eggs to get my awesome boy but breeding aggression doesn't happen in my yard lol

Children can be spastic if you don't tell them to calm down and respect the flock.

Spastic sudden movements are very bad indeed. It mimics a predator and triggers the "fight or flight" reflex. That is also a problem when handling nervous reptiles, being calm and moving at a controlled steady pace is key to getting them acclimated to us. I find if I am worried about "jerking away" because I might get bit or pecked usually simply "not looking" will keep me from doing it, I mean in situations where you cannot be seriously hurt, by not looking I can keep my motions relaxed and it reduces the likelihood of an attack.

On a similar note, some folks say "dogs sense fear and that makes them attack because you seem weak". My theory it is NOT because you "seem weak" but exhibiting fear and nervous behavior is a signal that something "bad" could be about to happen, if you are acting fearful and the others don't know why, and don't know you well enough to trust your intentions that signals that YOU may be a problem. If the dog DOES know you well and trusts you then if you exhibit signs of fear they often focus on the surrounding environment to see what the threat is because they know that YOU are not a threat.

Humans would have the same reaction -- think about it if someone you didn't know well knocked on your door and then acted "nervous" and worried when you greeted them and you couldn't figure out WHY they were acting like that what would your reaction be? If you have sense you may realize "Something is off here...why is this person acting so nervous and jittery for no apparent reason? Are they planning to do something?" and YOU would become concerned. Your concern would be about what THEY might do if they could potentially be a threat in some way. IMO dogs react the same way for the same reasons.

Last edited:
I have hit 3 of my chickens in the head one was a rooster he was attacking my face I put my hand over his back and hit him against a pole not really realizing what I was going he died 5 minutes later. Second one I was playing with a hoe swinging it around just so happened a hen was beside me she died 4,5,6 minutes later my other hen also a pole she lived but has mental problems she is very disturbed and disturbing there is something really wrong with her!

When you put your hand down to their head level, they are more likely to take that as a challenge. If you watch two cocks face off you will know what I mean. Stay above them. Children can be spastic if you don't tell them to calm down and respect the flock. I walk through the yard and coops regularly and have a particularly protective and territorial California Gray rooster. He follows me close, but generally doesn't spur me. If he does I laugh at him since I wear boots and jeans. His spurs are rounded so he can't prick me. Sometimes I tell him he's being stupid, and when he flies at me, I catch him, and pick him up, supporting his body. I may carry him around doing other one-handed chores, and eventually put him down. In that case I won the role of dominance. I notice that he keeps his distance after I set him back on the ground. I will offer him hand treats to show I am the hand that feeds.  Usually, if you walk calmly, carry yourself with authority as if you don't mind what the rooster is doing, he will not hassle you too much. Following closely is not worthy of being caught. He's just establishing his domain. If he attacks, reach out and pick him up. You would appreciate this type of rooster if a predator was in pursuit of his hens. Roosters are supposed to be tough. We have to allow it and be in control also in the yard, when it comes to our interaction with the flock. The rooster is boss of the flock.

I had a rooster that went after a bobcat. Luckily I was there, and the rooster survived. I loved that rooster and he had my respect.

Wow what breed of roo was that!?!?!

When you put your hand down to their head level, they are more likely to take that as a challenge. If you watch two cocks face off you will know what I mean. Stay above them. Children can be spastic if you don't tell them to calm down and respect the flock. I walk through the yard and coops regularly and have a particularly protective and territorial California Gray rooster. He follows me close, but generally doesn't spur me. If he does I laugh at him since I wear boots and jeans. His spurs are rounded so he can't prick me. Sometimes I tell him he's being stupid, and when he flies at me, I catch him, and pick him up, supporting his body. I may carry him around doing other one-handed chores, and eventually put him down. In that case I won the role of dominance. I notice that he keeps his distance after I set him back on the ground. I will offer him hand treats to show I am the hand that feeds.  Usually, if you walk calmly, carry yourself with authority as if you don't mind what the rooster is doing, he will not hassle you too much. Following closely is not worthy of being caught. He's just establishing his domain. If he attacks, reach out and pick him up. You would appreciate this type of rooster if a predator was in pursuit of his hens. Roosters are supposed to be tough. We have to allow it and be in control also in the yard, when it comes to our interaction with the flock. The rooster is boss of the flock.

I have yet to see one of my dominant roos carrying any of the other roos around to teach them a lesson. I guess maybe I need to pay more attention. Whoda thunk it! LOL

Yikes - you get attacked by the Rooster and then scolded here when you're trying to figure out what to do.  I'm sorry this happened to you - there and here.  Being spurred is no fun and can turn into a nasty wound.  You have to defend yourself so don't feel guilty - you didn't do it to be mean or cruel.  You're more important than the chicken.  I think I'd put him out of your misery.  Permanently.  Good luck.  :hugs

Ditto!! Don't feel bad and don't let anybody make you feel bad about what happened. I would probably kill him and eat him, feed him to the dogs or let him be fertilizer where I dropped him. And no, animals are not "people". He probably won't change his ways and if he doesn't, don't let him make you miserabl. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom