I hit my rooster in the head what do I do

on another note i was hired to work a horse several years ago had on jeans and boots to . walking threw the yard on the way to the barn their free range banny roo attack my leg ripped my heavy levis and drew blood they had to geta blanket just to get him off me and lock him up. and yes i was invited over for chicken dinner later

A blanket to get him off you. That sounds like a B horror movie I saw once, lol. That's what happens when spurs are not clipped and filed. You were new in the rooster's territory, so you were perceived as a threat.The owners should have had the rooster penned, not in the horse arena/stable/barn/etc. The rooster is just being a rooster.

Last edited:
he ran from out of the barn into their back yard. over 100 yards to attack me and that was their only chicken at that time and he thought he owned the whole world his next home was a frying pan

thou

Check out this rooster being a rooster. More accurate description is cock in his third year as an adult.

This dude would thump anyone that messed with his chicks if their mother got riled. He would flog you and behave just like a broody hen. He would also target you face rather than your shoe laces. Currently these charges are reason for him to stand his ground against a hawk and place himself as a distraction between his offspring and a fox. He has no problem running off cats.

Now check out those fine points between his legs. He is all natural.

Despite what I said above this cock with his brood of juveniles and his single hen as a mate currently incubating their second clutch of eggs are all staying nights in garage and have a home range centered on house. I also have two small children with eldest about 2.5 years old that can be trusted around this guy so long as his offspring are not threatened. Same cock and any other out in cockyard are also trustworthy around children sitting on floor where bird can walk freely among them and even mate a hen.

I grew up around same and had no problems.

The OP states in post #1: "I hit my rooster in the head out of fear because it was chasing me and a started swinging my plastic pole behind me and hit him in the head.at first he started to look like he was having a seisure and was moving the direction he got hit. I went to look at him to see if he was fine but he just limped away and I didn't even hit him in the leg.he has a bloody eye and nose.I checked on him a couple minutes later and he seems to be fine but I'm worried and he is still bleeding I feel really guilty and sry for him"

Now considering the fact that the OP was not injured by the rooster, but injured the rooster due to inexperience, I certainly wouldn't advise this person to get another rooster. With some posts on here you'd think roosters are as dangerous as a mountain lion. Regardless of whether or not the rooster is classified as a "pet" by the individual, means nothing in this situation of reactionary fear that caused the animal to suffer. I can appreciate the OP's concern for this, and did not intentionally harm the rooster, but I would strongly suggest the OP first understand instinctual behavior of chickens, in order to overcome the fear and not make the same mistake, before acquiring another rooster.
Ugh
Well, not all roosters chase and try to harm people unprovoked. She'd probably rather one of that type and I'd see no problem with her getting one. All chicken keepers have to gain experience somehow.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what makes you say that. I was simply encouraging her if she wished to process it and move on. I know I would.

I have 6 roosters and have never had any issues with any of them. four are silkies so even if they wanted to attack me they would not do much damage,but 2 are huge orpingtons,and yes i have been pecked and did it hurt, you bet. The one thing i can tell you about roosters or any animal for that matter is the minute they think they have you psyched out you are done for.You cannot show fear with any animal b/c they will react and hitting any animal hard enough to either cause damage or knock them out,will only reaffirm in their mind that you are the enemy so beware.

I pick my boys up daily and they actually come to me wanting attention and are very gentle/affectionate,they do realize that i am the boss and they respect me knowing that i will not harm them or their girls,but i too respect them and the role they play in my flock,it is a give and take relationship with understanding on both parties. I have found that many people do not understand roosters and this may be why they have some many issues,i love my boys but i do understand the nature of this beast and this understanding is key to having a healthy relationship with them. You must understand that they are not fluffy/cuddly puppies/kittens and never will be,but they are affectionate in their own way.

Back
Top Bottom