(I hope this is in the right forum) Question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animalove, Aug 4, 2011.

1. animalove

animalove Out Of The Brooder

Please dont shout or get angry at me when you are answering a question, I just want a little advice [​IMG]

So my parents wont let me get two chickens so would it be cruel to have one only? Of course I'd keep it company and my bunny Patchy would always be outside with it and they might even stay in the same coop. [​IMG] Is this still cruel or not? Thank you for your advice and I apologize it this is in the wrong forum [​IMG]

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Chickens are social animals, so it would be best to have more than one.

However, I did know a person that picked up a stray rooster and he was really friendly with dogs, cats and humans. He just did not like chickens. Because he was stray, the friend never knew how or why he was as he was. He was her lone rooster and made a very good pet, just not a good team player or flock bird. So I guess it can be done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. animalove

So some chickens do prefer to live with animals other then other chickens? That's useful [​IMG] Thanks! Maybe it just depends on the personality of the chicken?

4. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I wouldn't go as far as to say "some" as I think it's a rare instance. I put the example out there so you could look for a similar instance. I had a Pekin duck that didn't like any other animal her entire life. When she was 8 years old, she decided she liked chickens...but only two.

They all have their own personality. You will just have to look for one that fits your situation.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Would it be cruel to have only one? Maybe. Each chicken has its own personality. Different chickens react differently in certain situations. They are living animals so you never know for sure how they will react.

Some people have reported that they only have one chicken and it does OK. Others have reported that a lone chicken is very depressed.

They are flock animals. They need company to be happy and content. If you get a baby chick that imprints on you or maybe the bunny and the chick accepts you or the bunny as its flock, it may be OK. If you get an older chicken that does not imprint on you or the bunny, you probably have a problem. Or maybe the bunny does not imprint on the chick or want to interact wtih it. What do you do when you are at school if it has imprinted on you? How often will you be able to keep it company when you are not in school? All day, every day, like a regular flock member?

I don't know your specific arrangements or life style, but I really don't think a chicken is the right pet for you.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How about 2 small bantams? They eat less and take up less space than one standard hen. Try for that. Good luck.

7. animalove

Ok guys, thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe you can find an article explaining the importance of keeping at least two chickens? Having two is no different then having one. Feed and upkeep is very inexpensive for two birds. If their worried about space, maybe bantams would be a solution or a bantam and standard together. Good luck! I hope they agree on your request!

9. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Sourland is right! Two Bantams would be ideal, actually 3 would be better. Look into small breeds!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by