I hope whoever invented Orbeez steps on a Lego!

gabscilla

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2019
Hi! Stephanie here. I am new and this is my first post. Two of my children have an egg business. They have 47 chickens and have had them for 4 years now. I grew up with chickens all of my childhood. So, I have a little bit of experience with raising chickens. I have joined because I am in desperate need of finding someone who can tell me what happens to chickens that eat fully hydrated Orbeez. My children and their friends get these things by the thousands for pennies. They hydrate them and then keep them relatively responsibly. Until recently, that is. My daughter's best friend brought over a trash bag of fully hydrated Orbeez when she stayed with us for a couple of days. On January 3rd she took them outside, against house rules, and dumped them on the trampoline to tramp all over. Well, the free range chickens started eating them. So Orbeez are now banned at our farm.

Let me give you a little back story. 25 of their chickens are less than a year old. They are red sexlinks and should be giving us an egg a day right now. Problem is, we noticed we weren't getting all of the expected eggs each day and the kids found a couple of rouge nests around the property so we had already decided that after their friends went home we would keep the chickens confined with a light on in the coop each day until they were all laying in the nesting boxes. However, they have stopped laying completely. We got one egg a day each day this week from 47 chickens. They are not laying them anywhere else. Can someone please tell me what is up with our chickens? Thank you so much! Sincerely, Steph

Hi! Stephanie here. I am new and this is my first post. Two of my children have an egg business. They have 47 chickens and have had them for 4 years now. I grew up with chickens all of my childhood. So, I have a little bit of experience with raising chickens. I have joined because I am in desperate need of finding someone who can tell me what happens to chickens that eat fully hydrated Orbeez. My children and their friends get these things by the thousands for pennies. They hydrate them and then keep them relatively responsibly. Until recently, that is. My daughter's best friend brought over a trash bag of fully hydrated Orbeez when she stayed with us for a couple of days. On January 3rd she took them outside, against house rules, and dumped them on the trampoline to tramp all over. Well, the free range chickens started eating them. So Orbeez are now banned at our farm.

Let me give you a little back story. 25 of their chickens are less than a year old. They are red sexlinks and should be giving us an egg a day right now. Problem is, we noticed we weren't getting all of the expected eggs each day and the kids found a couple of rouge nests around the property so we had already decided that after their friends went home we would keep the chickens confined with a light on in the coop each day until they were all laying in the nesting boxes. However, they have stopped laying completely. We got one egg a day each day this week from 47 chickens. They are not laying them anywhere else. Can someone please tell me what is up with our chickens? Thank you so much! Sincerely, Steph
Could they possibly be broody? I cant imagine orbeez really hurting them too much. They're mostly water.

They are not broody. A lot of the older chickens are molting, and I was hoping the stress of being confined all week with hardly any outdoor time (just before dusk) might be stressing them and causing them to not lay. But I thought after a week of it they'd be laying again. This is the first year they didn't train their pullets to lay in the boxes and just experimented to see if they would naturally follow the older chickens.

Ok so they are a super absorbent polimer.

I am seeing a few places that they could cause real issues for chickens.

The crop being filled with these (particularly if they are not all swelled up) could easily become affected.

Not thinking the egg making would be affected other than decreased feed intake causing starvation or sour crop.

Yeah I would be ticked at the kids.

You have production hens that should be laying.

Keep a close watch on them for signs of crop issues.
I am certainly no expert so will call in a few more knowledgeable people.

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony what are your thoughts.....

If the chickens are eating, drinking, pooping normal poops, not losing weight, and acting healthy, I don't think you need to worry.
They are eating and drinking normal amounts of food and water. We aren't seeing any lethargic ladies either. So that's all good. Maybe they are just mad because we are keeping them confined. They usually get let out at 6:30 am and go up whenever they please. We are letting them out at 4pm right now. So could totally be angry birds.

Back
Top Bottom