1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I installed an automatic chicken door - check it out :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JLS, Oct 11, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I just installed the Pullet-Shut automatic chicken door in my coop this evening. I also installed a solar panel and rechargable battery to operate it. I did it all by myself too [​IMG] And the best thing is...it works. Check it out at the bottom of my BYC page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32818

I
    am pretty proud of myself [​IMG] I just need to touch up the paint around the door now.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] looks great!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

VERY nice! Can you get the solar panel and rechargeable battery from the same folks who sell the Pullet Shut auto door?

I may try to retrofit my A-Frame coop which I can't quite figure out how to install the Foy's Electronic Butler (which I do have on my main coop). So I'm looking at all options.

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:If I may ask, how much did you pay for your pullet door? I just purchased 2 openers for my two doors. My husband installed them.They would never work if I did it [​IMG]

BTW, I paid $87 dollars ea. for mine

Jen

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    looks good [​IMG]
    we also recently put in a automatic door and have now got it working. its amazing how much easier life is with out having to rush home each night to shut the girls in

6. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:No I purchased the 12 watt rechargable battery and 12 watt solar panel from Gander Mountain (found it on the web). It had free shipping and they were fast too. Great customer service!

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wonderful coop! Thanks for sharing!

8. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:If I may ask, how much did you pay for your pullet door? I just purchased 2 openers for my two doors. My husband installed them.They would never work if I did it [​IMG]

BTW, I paid $87 dollars ea. for mine

Jen

I paid $180 plus $20 for shipping. The whole thing - solar panel, battery, and door took me under an hour. The most difficult thing, if you can call it difficult, was installing the panel. The door was a breeze! I cut the opening to the size it states and then there are 4 screws for the door...that's it! I must say that the customer service was great too. There are 2 numbers in which to call. One number I was able to talk to the owner of the company! Very kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by