I introduced my 1 1/2 2 week chicks to the 9 1/2 week loner. All is well.

LindaMarieLaur

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
New York State.
9wksbeauty (2).jpg integratedcks.jpg butts.jpg

That's great to hear that all is well, but I'd keep a close eye on them. If she isn't broody she may hurt what looks like "intruders" to her.
She is sweet. She was picked on when I tried to introduce her to the flock but it was too cold for her to be out alone some nights still. She tips food over for them and has been honing their scratching skills. One of the little ones was cleaning her. She roosts on top of the nesting box and she has been laying in it during the day with the wee ones. She is finally part of a flock and seems to be loving it :)

She is sweet. She was picked on when I tried to introduce her to the flock but it was too cold for her to be out alone some nights still. She tips food over for them and has been honing their scratching skills. One of the little ones was cleaning her. She roosts on top of the nesting box and she has been laying in it during the day with the wee ones. She is finally part of a flock and seems to be loving it :)
(She was a lone egg and was with her mom for about 6 weeks then the mom went back outside with the others.)

My treat pan is a heavy ceramic dog bowl, they can't tip it over :)

She is cute and sounds like she is taking over mommy roll.
I'm not sure about taking over the mommy role. They seemed to want to sleep with her last evening, but she roosts and ignored them. I do think she is being part of a flock with them although the size difference is still large :) She gets in the tractor supply nesting box and observes more than she did when alone. Great idea on the treat pan!!!!

Back
Top Bottom