I joined the ranks of those with "feed store" chicks.............

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
Went to get feed for my chickens and chick starter and shavings for chicks that are coming from Ideal this week. I KNEW I shouldn't even look at the chicks, but turned around and there they were. I think I really could have resisted buying any, but unfortunately, they had six little NN babies and they were 1/2 off! Of course, I had to buy all six.

Hubby called to see what time I'd be home, and I told him my sister and I were on our way home to unload everything, and then we were going back out to go antiquing. It took him a few minutes to put 2 and 2 together, but he called back and asked, "Are you coming home before going to the antique shops because you have something LIVE with you?" I said, "Congratulations, you just correctly answered the 50 million dollar question!!!" He was fine with it, though, as we have 23 coming on Thurs. or Fri. from Ideal and 5 SGs coming from a BYCer.

Oh, the little NNs are SO adorable-----when my Ideal chicks get here, I'll have 11 NNs all together.

cool.png
Know the feeling. I was supposed to be on my way to get feed this morning, when a friend of mine called..........the next town over was having a poultry swap!!! Wife called to check on me, since I had been gone nearly 3 hours (for a 20 min trip). First question, you alright? Second question, you out looking at animals? Guess she really does know me, lol!
lol.png
Arrived home with 2 Blue Cochin, 3 Delaware, 4 Rhode Islands, oh and feed.
cool.png

I am soooo glad you posted this. I am on a Naked Neck buying frenzy! I had a brooder of chicks who arrived on the 22nd. Last week, I went into the feed store, and oh oh, Turkens! I called my husband and he said, okay, pick out two. Well, on Friday, the brooder of chicks graduated to the bigger brooder in the coop, but the little Turkens couldn't go out. They were too small!
wink.png
So on Saturday, I went back and picked up 2 Turkens and 1 EE to add to the inside brooder. Honestly, the two Turkens were lonely and unhappy! Today, I convinced my husband (who has been letting me have it about my chick buying on a regular basis) that we need to stop in and look at the tub of Turkens.
smile.png
(Turkens are his favorite) He was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs and hurriedly walked off. I think he wanted to take them all home. He let me pick out 2 (which somehow ended up being 3) on the basis that they had pasty butt. I used the "they will die if we don't take them home" method. Worked really well! We now had a total of 9 Turkens. Our favorites are going on 6 weeks old, named Sammy and Tiny Tim Turken (or triple T). Love these little birds!
wee.gif

I hear ya.. The min of 6 kept me safe though. I just don't have room for 6 more unless I build an addition to the coop I've got! Good thing I passed on them though.. I've got baby chicks hatching as we speak..!!

Hey, they are just there to sell us everything we NEED! Did you find everything you needed today ma'am? Yes except is that all the chicks you have? Do you have some more in the back? Hahahahaha

Quote:
I messed with the cashier that day.. They had a rabbit in a tub beside the chicks and I said.. "I think you have a serious problem!! A rabbit has eaten all your baby chicks in one of the tubs!! They're everywhere! I shot three this year trying to get to my chickens!" Never before have I seen such a confused look on someone's face.. lol

Back
Top Bottom