I jumped in head first yesterday.....and now own my first flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by armyturner, Dec 12, 2008.

1. armyturner

armyturner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    We had planned on getting some chicks in the spring, but I ran across an add in a local paper a couple of days ago for some chickens for sale. Gave the guy a call, he said that he had 12 RIR hens and 4 RIR roos. Me and my step father spent most of the day yesterday working on a coop and run then took the kids to go pick a few of them up. Well, when we got there he said that he had more than he first thought. There were 16 hens and 7 roos, RIRs and a few sex links. These were all purchased as chicks back in the spring.

I ended up leaving with an even dozen - 2 nice looking RIR roos, 6 RIR hens, 3 sex link hens (grey, black, and brown), and one that appears to be an EE. The EE was sold with the sex links as chicks, but she is obivously different. He said that he doesn't know if she lays colored eggs or not due to them being exclusively free range and laying all over the farm. I will try to get a pic up later today of the suspected EE so that maybe someone can verify.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Hi, Welcome to BYC. Its a very interesting hobby [​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Congrats! [​IMG] Sounds like you got a nice mix! I would keep them in the pen for a while if you are planning on free ranging so they can get used to their new home. Have you got your nest boxes ready? Sometimes moving them can cause them to quit laying for a bit, so don't be discouraged if you don't get eggs for a week or two. [​IMG]

Shelly

4. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    [​IMG]:welcomeHello! Good start. and Welcome

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    And so the madness begins! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG], you have now entered the wonderful world of chickenhood, lots to learn about them biddies, they and this forum are addictive so don't fight the urge when it comes about again get more chickens..must have more chickens...[​IMG]

7. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Congratulations on your 1st Flock of Chickens! Welcome to BYC, Wait till you recieve your first egg, thats the biggie. That was for me! You'll be a chickoholic like the rest of us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by