I just bought a baby donkey!

Quote:
Here's a link I found
smile.png
(kinda harsh to the reader in places IMHO, but it goes more in depth compared to other places I saw): http://www.lovelongears.com/breednques.html

She
sure is cute!

Whoops, Alabama beat me to it!
wink.png

Last edited:
Well thank yall i am going to look at that website. I want to make sure i know everything ( if thats possible ) before i just jump into this whole donkey thing

Please Please Please do research on donkeys, they tend to be more work vs horses and have more feet issues. A good place to start is Lucky Three Ranch, Meredith Hodges is awesome and so helpful.

If any specific questions, PM me i would happily answer them for you!

I am researching a lot i have been spending a lot of time on the internet looking. Thank you for the heads up and if i have any problems i will contact her or you!

I don't think it is something you teach. Most donkeys have an aversion to dogs, wolfs and coyotes. However, they can be taught not to bother your dogs. It is helpful, if the dogs don't show aggession like barking etc. My donkeys and 2 dogs do ok with each other. But it did take time.

The hee haw sound donkeys make alone does a great job scaring coyotes away. Really, you would not want one lone donkey trying to fight off dogs or coyotes.

Cute baby.

Ya know comming from a petting zoo it may not be much of a livestock protector.
I purchased an older donkey from a petting zoo years ago and she does not protect anything but she is a great baby sitter for young foals when it comes time to wean them.
suzyq.jpg

She is also very, very good at opening gates
big_smile.png

suzythegatekeeper.jpg

Its more of a natural thing, we have two and they do a good job keeping the predators away, just with their presence. Guard donkeys is the only thing im not familiar with, but i heard somwhere you don't want an over social or "friendly" donkey.

Back
Top Bottom