Help me decide on my next livestock animal

misomoose

Hatching
Dec 1, 2023
I've recently gotten into chickens and ducks, and I have really been loving taking care of farm animals and itching to add a new species of animal to my backyard. I'm on 2.5 acres in a subdivision in a fairly agricultural town though I don't think any of my neighbors have animals so I have been trying to keep a low profile. (I did check my township zoning laws that we don't have any prohibitions against owning livestock). I have about 5000 sq feet fenced and the rest is wooded/hilly and not very usable.

I am mostly doing this as a hobby/for fun so I am wanting an animal that is friendly and docile. Would be nice if they could produce something useful but not required. I don't think I could bring myself to harvest anything for meat. Lawn mowing capabilities are a bonus! I would like them to be on the quieter side - I do have the highway nearby drowning out the noise from my chickens and ducks but would like to minimize any chance of tension with the neighbors.

I have considered the following:
- rabbits for fun / poop to use in my garden, but seems kind of boring and I don't like keeping animals in cages
- goats - I love their personalities! but worry about general naughtiness / escaping / loudness. maybe mini silky fainting goats? not sure how loud they can get
- sheep - I've been looking into babydoll sheep which are sooo cute but when I met them in person did not seem that friendly. I also feel bad that I don't have enough grass for them to graze and would need to supplement hay
- geese - heard mixed reviews, worried about aggression/noise but sebastopols seem really sweet

Any animals y'all would recommend?? Or should I just get more chickens and ducks :)

We have 2 goats. They’re awesome. Sneaking out is a legit concern (our Nigerian dwarf has given us a run for our money but going under chain link fence?. We reinforced with got fencing.

Welcome!
Think hard about this! Actually visit farms with critters you might want to have, read up about them, visit your (nearby?) agricultural university farms if possible. Classes at your ag school?
Hair sheep don't need to be sheared. Small goats are cute, with very serious fencing. Geese? Some are nice, again, with fencing.
Two acres in a subdivision isn't enough for any of the animals you are thinking of, IMO.
Mary

When I lived in town, I had four miniature goats in the backyard, which was adjacent to a wooded area with a creek.

My goats lived in a huge, chain link dog kennel to protect them at night and keep them from wandering off. They played in the yard during the day and were quite friendly and popular with the neighbors. I taught countless neighbor kids what to feed -- and what not to feed -- cute little goats.

Goats not contained by chain link panels, in my opinion, will eventually be goats not contained. Both the wire fencing and cattle panel fences I have now in the country USUALLY keep the goats restrained. But, I have also had to run through neighbors' fields to get my girls back home.

My first goat was much like having a puppy with horns. Rocky was even leash trained and rode in the car. He was sweet and affectionate, more so than any of the other wethers I've had since. Intact male goats are strong-smelling and often surly critters.

I've had good experiences with Katahdin sheep, another self-shedding hair breed, but with both goats and sheep, I think you would need to buy hay and minerals to keep them healthy. It's hard for them to get enough nutrition from grazing a smaller area.

I am a big fan of American Buff geese. I already had chickens and ducks when I added geese, who need their own housing. Although mine get along loose in the yard with the others MOST of them time, their size means that when they want to be bossy, they can get obnoxious with the smaller birds.

But, every goose is an individual, so you may get a sweet goose who will let you pet her and/or pick her up when necessary (Gussie) or a less cuddly girl (Golly) who will throw wings (large, strong wings) when she doesn't want to be handled, once leaving me with a blackened eye.

Overall, my geese are funny and entertaining girls who come when called, know to head into their house at night and are terrible at flying, so they don't cross a 3-foot-high fence that separates the yard from the road.

They tolerate extreme weather pretty well (no combs or wattles to get frostbite!) and while they will announce the arrival of any visitors, aren't overly talkative. They won't guard and protect other birds, but they will let us all know when hawks or eagles are overhead. And, although they only produce eggs for several weeks in the spring, the eggs they do produce are AWESOME!

I like Mary's suggestion of meeting some of the possible additions before you add to your own critters. But, I never tell anyone not to add more chickens and ducks :)

And, finally, welcome to BYC! Whatever you decide, I'm sure someone here can help you with any questions or concerns.

Rabbits don’t have to be kept in cages and it’s better for them if they aren’t. They are actually herd animals that burrow. Look up rabbit colonies on Instagram and you can see some examples of how people keep them.

I used to raise them when I lived in Wyoming and they did well in a large colony or split into tractors when the grass needed mowing. It’s too hot here (SE Georgia) most of the year for the big pet rabbits to be comfortable so that may be a consideration depending on where you live.

You didn't mention pigs! I used to have potbellied pigs. A single strand of electric wire along the bottom of the inside of your fence should keep them from trying to root up the fencing you have now.
Piglets are adorable, but I would go for an older tame pig from a rescue, a female or fixed male.That said, raising a piglet is a lot of fun too. We started ours inside and transitioned them outdoors. They're easily house trained. I definitely wouldn't get an intact male though, just to avoid the possible aggression when they become "of age".
Pigs are really smart and can be very sweet. We taught ours tricks and they would flop over for belly rubs and they're great for eating left over garden scraps.

We have rabbits and I do find them boring. Like you, I don't like anything in cages. We will be raising them colony style. For now, they are in a fence area in a portion of a high tunnel, with dirt under their little bunny feet.

We are getting goats next year and I'm very worried about keeping them contained and healthy. There are so many horror stories...

I wouldn't get goats if you can't have an electric fence. They're so incredibly smart. The ones I took care of on an employer's farm knew immediately when the power went out/fence went off and would climb right out of their pasture. If you don't have enough for them to do, they'll eat anything they can get at. Those same (3) goats had several acres of pasture (I guess that's not enough space?) And still ate the shingles off the roof of their house.

Sounds like Kunekune pigs might be a good fit for you. Kunekunes are grazing pigs and won't ruin your yard and turn it to mud like other pigs. They are also one of the smallest pigs, although they can still grow to be 200+ pounds.

I raised Katahdin sheep (still have one) and totally recommend them IF you have enough grazing space. Yes, they are skittish around strangers, but if you spend enough time with them they can be great pets and be more docile than goats. Katahdins are one of the cleanest farm animals due to their short hair that naturally sheds every year and their bean-like poops.

Back
Top Bottom