I just bought a butternut squash - what do I do with it?

claud

Songster
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
PA
It's the kind with the long neck - think that's butternut.
I thought I remembered my aunt making pumpkin pies with it.
What else?

cut it in the shape of french fries, sprinkle with cinammon and sugar and bake on a greased baking sheet. nice sweet treat!

Also, you can use it to make a tasty soup.

I poke holes in it and put it in the microwave (on a plate) until a fork or knife goes through it easily. Then slice it in half long-ways, scoop out the seeds. I only add butter, salt & pepper but some like it with butter and brown sugar. Enjoy!

Muffins!

Ingredients
1 banana, mashed
1 cup cooked butternut squash
4 eggs
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup white sugar
6 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour

Optional Topping:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
1. In stand mixer or mixing bowl, mix banana, butternut squash, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and oil, until well blended.
2. In separate mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until batter forms.
4. Pour into greased baking cups or muffin tins, and sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon topping. Makes 24 regular size muffins, 48 mini muffins, or 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins (what I did!).
5. Bake at 350. Regular size muffins for 16-18 minutes. Mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.

cut in half, scoop out seeds. Put in on a cookie sheet or shallow dish pan with a enough water to cover bottom. Put butter and brown sugar on it and bake for 1 hour on 350 degrees. Very good. Taste like sweet potatoe to me, or you could make a soup out of it foodnetwork has a lot of recipes for them.

I cook mine in Microwave. Cut it up into pieces, put in bowl with butter and syrup. Cover bowl with another plate and cook 5 mins.

I also used to cut in half, bake and fill middle with butter

Soup is really good also!

peel, dice, toss with olice oil
then add lots of slivered fresh basil/rosemeary/thyme/redpepper flakes
& 1 lb cooked & crumbled sweet Italian sausage
put in greased cassserole, cover with foil and bake at 350 until tender!

Yes, you can use it like pumpkin for pies. Just follow your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.

I describe the way to bake fresh pumpkins in pumpkin recipe thread. I imagine the same would work for a squash...may be a shorter bake time.

Back
Top Bottom