I just can not get passed this, my BSL is 28 wks old and shows no

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
signs of maturing. I am using a pic that is well over a month old, but she looks the same! She barely has any comb and no wattles. Her "sisters" are all daily layers of beautiful brown eggs. She eats well, but I do get the impression she is bottom of the chicken totem pole. She is the same size as my BSL, but no squatting, nothing. She is a sweet little runt. I guess.
52367_dscn3608.jpg
That is her in the middle eyeballing that squash.
smile.png

I think that is a theme that runs across many breeds, here and there. Out of our original 10 birds, we had three that were very late bloomers. One of them, I could have sworn, was a latent rooster. Large bird, but hardly any comb or wattles. Hers are still much smaller than anyone else's, even at a year and a half. Skittles is a Barred Rock, and her sister matured early, probably our first egg layer at around 20 weeks. I don't think Skittles laid until she was over 10 months old.

Some girls are very slow maturing... I don't know why! I had a white leghorn pullet, (she was the runt) along with 19 other white LH layers,,, and the 19 started laying around 16 to 17 weeks and this runty little girle didn't lay her first egg until she was almost 30 weeks old! I almost gave up on her... but now she lays an egg a day (near bouts)
big_smile.png
I also have some Blk sexlinks out in the yard from early spring... they have been slow to mature this year (for some reason)... maybe it's the heat...
hmm.png

I only have one BSL and she has been my first and only layer for weeks! I'd about given up on the rest and I finally got one more egg yesterday. So out of 12 chickens that are over 20 weeks old, I only have two laying!

Back
Top Bottom