Update from the BarQ and a Question

2iceblest

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
Cicero, Indiana
Things are going well on the BarQ.

Three of the six hens started laying in November and are continuing to lay for now.

Had an issue with the Leghorn’s comb. Had to go to SC because our Dad passed at 95. Came home to the tips of her comb blackened and the remainder was grey. But, treating with coconut oil each evening and making sure the poop is cleaned up every day to reduce moisture has brought it back - even the black tips have turned pink/red. She does hate me, now. Hides behind everyone else and bobs and weaves every time I put the oil on.

Everyone seems happy and healthy. Hubs says I pamper them too much. They get Scratch n Peck mash, with egg and feather supplements regularly, ACV a couple of times a week, BSFL, scratch and corn for the winter treat, greens (sprouts and herbs), etc., etc. Oh, well. They’re living creatures and want to make them as healthy and happy as possible.

I ordered three Columbia. Wyandotte because they’re supposed to be cold hardy with gentle temperaments. They have NEVER been gentle. They’ll attack me with beaks and feet given the chance. I’ve complained about that before but hoped they would change once mature. They are six months and a week old but not laying. I know they’re mature because they will eventually squat when I chase them to put them back in the pen. Only one has stubby wattles. They have earned the nickname, Crazy White Girls, #1, 2, and 3.

The Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock, and Leghorn are all laying daily right now. I’m sure that will change because January/beginning of February is our cold time.

The CWGs are big but I wouldn’t say they’re huge and not high on the pecking order. They’re very independent and will go away from the flock to scout new areas to scavenge.

I’m posting pics hoping someone will see something I do not. If they really are Wyandottes.

Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    808.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    805.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 2
Things are going well on the BarQ.

Three of the six hens started laying in November and are continuing to lay for now.

Had an issue with the Leghorn’s comb. Had to go to SC because our Dad passed at 95. Came home to the tips of her comb blackened and the remainder was grey. But, treating with coconut oil each evening and making sure the poop is cleaned up every day to reduce moisture has brought it back - even the black tips have turned pink/red. She does hate me, now. Hides behind everyone else and bobs and weaves every time I put the oil on.

Everyone seems happy and healthy. Hubs says I pamper them too much. They get Scratch n Peck mash, with egg and feather supplements regularly, ACV a couple of times a week, BSFL, scratch and corn for the winter treat, greens (sprouts and herbs), etc., etc. Oh, well. They’re living creatures and want to make them as healthy and happy as possible.

I ordered three Columbia. Wyandotte because they’re supposed to be cold hardy with gentle temperaments. They have NEVER been gentle. They’ll attack me with beaks and feet given the chance. I’ve complained about that before but hoped they would change once mature. They are six months and a week old but not laying. I know they’re mature because they will eventually squat when I chase them to put them back in the pen. Only one has stubby wattles. They have earned the nickname, Crazy White Girls, #1, 2, and 3.

The Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock, and Leghorn are all laying daily right now. I’m sure that will change because January/beginning of February is our cold time.

The CWGs are big but I wouldn’t say they’re huge and not high on the pecking order. They’re very independent and will go away from the flock to scout new areas to scavenge.

I’m posting pics hoping someone will see something I do not. If they really are Wyandottes.

Happy New Year!!
Those are Columbian Wyandottes.

They're Wyandottes. Every chicken is an individual, & will act differently from one another.
I get that. Just frustrated because suddenly CG#1 is pecking the back feathers off #2 and #3 but leaving the other chickens alone. They’re down to their down! Not sure if I should try to make some tea tree spray since the Pick No More is a cream.

I get that. Just frustrated because suddenly CG#1 is pecking the back feathers off #2 and #3 but leaving the other chickens alone. They’re down to their down! Not sure if I should try to make some tea tree spray since the Pick No More is a cream.
Could always try pinless peepers(blinders), to prevent the picking.

Is she breaking the feathers, or actually plucking, & eating them?

She’s pecking at them. I’m finding feather pieces. Watched her at the dust bath and it’s pecking at their lower backs. They’re not bare. Their down is showing.
I think you've got either a bored hen, or she's just a bully.
Have any form of enrichment/entertainment for them?

Back
Top Bottom