I just committed myself to BIG $$$ expenditure....

no ac. and yep, it's a gas boiler.

my home is looooong and has many runs. it was added on to twice, once before my parents bought it and once after they bought it. And yep, I have radiators.

I was given a rough estimate that putting in a furnace/ac would cost me? I forget exactly but double or more? I've got the majority of the house on slab...so it would have to run in the craw spaces...and then the newer addition (80's) has a basement.

I usually run window air units in the bedrooms and one in the living room.

I should ask him.

me,
g

Gay Renee - mind posting the links I sent you? I'd have to dig for them again.
barnie.gif

Key is to make sure that when you get the unit serviced/cleaned, that the heat exchange plates are cleaned with a stiff brush. Not a single person who serviced our boiler in the past 5 years EVER did this (nor any in the 5 prior to that!). When the flames can't flow between the plates, no heat happens AND the flames will find pathway to burn. That pathway was around the edges of the boiler.
he.gif
It nearly caused our house to burn down - the boiler was in our crawl space.

Boilers are rare where I live, as most homes around here have furnaces. I, for one, love radiant heat and will rue the day I ever have to have forced air again.

Maplesky...

The cost of these appliances is tremendous and sadly, a necessary evil. Last fall, in one of our rental houses, we had to replace the furnace and a week later the water heater. Even though it is a rental it is still our house and has to be done. We did payments too. Why all at once I had to ask myself everytime I looked at my checkbook, with tears in my eyes! I sympathize with your plight. I installed the water heater myself and it still cost north of $90.00 for the copper pipe and fittings to go an extra 3 feet.

Last edited:
Boy do I love my wood stove that burns free wood that I only have to cut up and stack. After paying gas bills my whole life, I'm finally off the grid. We got a propane furnace but very rarely use it.

bun.gif
just wanted to rub it in
bun.gif

G, it's about time you replaced that beast...

Quote:
Same here, Bluey! I can't even imagine paying a gas bill again! Average cost of good, used wood stove in these parts: $300 regular stove, $1200 for wood furnace.

Since I don't have my own place for getting wood, I was able to buy "seconds" lumber bundles for $20 a piece. Four bundles took us through the winter and, since I already owned the stove, I heated the house for $80 and the gas to pick up the wood.

That is why I love my wood heat!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom