I just culled Ginger- First time, just need to share

I am so sorry. I was in Rome once and my husband and I found a dying, suffering pigeon. We did the exact same thing, with a baggie we had. It was a peaceful end and did not contribute to its suffering. It is better to care and do something difficult than to not care.

I'm sorry! I was in tears reading your post! I know it was hard on you, but you did what you had to do! I have my husband or my 21 year old step-son do it for me. I know the day will come that I will have to face it too.
hit.gif
I think it shows what a compassionate person you are to feel such pain at the loss of your little chick!!
hugs.gif
Even when they are with us such a short time, they are loved!!

hugs.gif
poor thing!
But, I'm gonna try it anyways. "Baby banties in a brooder baby banties in a brooder babay banties in a brooder baby banties in a brooder baby bantied in a broodere baby banties int aboroode babay bantiews oio a brooder" OK, apparently it works when you're typing it, too.... I don't think I even made it to eight!

you did all you could,even to the end,it took courage to do what you did,you loved ginger enough to not let her be in misery.you deserve a pat on the back,If I ever have to make that decision,I know it will be hard,,these little babys have a way of getting in your heart,I am beginning to find that out:jumpy

I'm so sorry you had to do that, Yesterday I had to put my first chick down too, but fortunately my husband is a country boy, so he took care of it for me, but still I felt horrible having to give the word to put her down, then my husband came in a little teary after he did it, and that made me feel bad too.... But it was best for the Chick, I took her out of the incubator and put her straight into the brooder, then went along with my cleaning, but noticed one of the chicks was crying alot, so I check on them, and the one I just put in the brooder was walking funny, her little toes curled over on eachother, and her legs stuck out to the sides, she was trying to walk, but I could tell she was in pain, so I gave hubby the word.
hit.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that day will come when I have to do "it". I am not looking forward to it. Take comfort in the fact that you ended her suffering, and brought her peace.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry about Ginger, but sometimes we have to do "what we have to do"...it is never easy. I've told my DH that if I ever don't cry, then that's the end of animals for me.
When I did wildlife rehab, (and MOST of what wildlife rehabbers get in, don't make it), it was the hardest thing to do. I rehabbed only "backyard birds",(for almost 10 yrs), not the larger and "have-to-have-a-permit" raptors or the larger mammals. Some birds were so "broken" when brought to me and still alive, that the only merciful thing to do was "cervical dislocation"(recommended by our wildlife vet)...a firm quick pull and twist at the neck... I could not do it at first, DH did, but when he wasn't home I could not stand the suffering, and did it.

The other Vet recommendation, for small birds, was a large jar filled with cotton, saturated with ether (carb starter is ether, or at least WAS back then/ I have not looked recently), put the bird in for 10-15 mins (if I remember correctly), then put in freezer. The bird will be asleep and not feel any pain.

Ok...enough rambling...I'm getting teary.

Blessings and hugs to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom