I just discovered a new nest of eggs - can I still eat them after 7-10 days outside?

MizzCuckoo

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013

Our two girls free range. I thought they were protesting from the heat and not laying, but today I discovered about 13 eggs behind the shed in the shade.

I know these organic eggies still have their natural barrier and therefore can last much longer un-refridgerated, but my question is: HOW LONG? I am in California and so the temps have probably gotten into the low 80s in the shade.

Thank you guys!!

I don't really know the answer to that. With that kind of heat, I would be leary. I would probably crack one open and give it the look and smell test. Can't miss a bad one that way!

Ya, I would crack them open separately to check them out for sure, it would scare me but I don't really see why you couldn't eat them. When you think about it, I would expect some/most of them to hatch if you incubated them, so they would still be "good" if not as fresh as we like.

If you are going to try eating them do what Kelsie, crack them on at a time separately. 80 in the shade is kinda warm, but the old crack and smell test would be the way. Still a lot fresher than store eggs.

Mike

If in doubt float before eating. If you put it in a jug of water and it sinks its okay if it floats its off.

Personally though my chooks would be getting scrambled eggs lol

Back
Top Bottom