I just don't understand.

We recently got a rooster. I put it off for the same reason-neighbors. I work out in my yard and listen to howlers and yappers ALL DAY LONG,and finally said the heck with it.My roo crows am and pm about 6 times each. I think I have about 12 houses that can see into my yard,and more that can hear the roo. I don't care anymore. I listen to the dogs,the booming bass music,and now the lazy woman who pulls into a drive each day and honks 20+ times everyday instead of getting out and ringing the door bell.

Legally I can have the roo. I am sure someone can make a stink though somehow. It will be a good reason to move.We got our roo from a lady living in PA.Country area,but sadly there are neighborhoods popping up all around that area.My ds saw the horses,chickens,and huge dogs she had and said," This is what I want when I get a home!" Sweet. My mom has a wonderful home she will give us,but the city rules make it so unappealing.

I let the chickens out at 9am when I get home. I can hear Jack crowing about 6:30am,but it is muffed in the shed. I figure 9 is the time people are mowing and stuff.And again the crowing is less than a minute.Far less torturous than the yapper and howler. I am not sure why people accept that,but freak over a minute of crowing. I know people work the night shift. I once did. Ear plugs work.

If someone has an annoying dog, that does not make it ok for you to have a loud rooster. To say it's ok because others have loud dogs - not good logic.

My rooster is really, really loud and makes a horrible noise. There is no 'softening' of it unless we murder him, I think it can be heard for five miles.

What gets me is, large cities are WAY noisier than dogs or roosters or the like even come close to. I can sleep through 3 AM crowing without a problem, but let a dog start barking continuously, and it sets off an alarm. Even worse is a puppy whining all night.

Quote:
I didn't say that I thought it was okay for me to have a rooster just because others have loud dogs. I'm pretty sure I specifically said that I was getting rid of the pullets I had that turned out to be cockerels.
I was just pointing out that roosters aren't allowed in areas because of their noise, but that people can have dogs that are way louder than a rooster would be.
Just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, think it should be. Or dogs, for that matter. I am not at all comfortable with putting any limit on noise that is not manmade.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, think it should be. Or dogs, for that matter. I am not at all comfortable with putting any limit on noise that is not manmade.

I'd love to have a rooster for my girls. We borrowed one from my grandma once for about a week. She told us that he didn't really crow much, but once he got here he crowed often enough that people didn't like it.
Not only that, obviously it's illegal where I live. I'm pushing it by having more hens than allowed.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is with having roosters. Heck, some people have kids louder than the little bantam rooster we had.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom