I just found a clutch of eggs, what should I do with them?? **PICS**

Tonight's update:

We moved her into a tractor that is alot more secure, but my husband double checked and there were only 7 eggs in there. We moved all 7 even though the poor wet hen protested the whole time. (it had just rained) Oh well, now she is safe and has food and water 2 feet away. Hopefully we didn't change her mind about being broody.
fl.gif

I wonder what happened to the other eggs? My husband said they were probably eaten by a snake or something. Yall should have seen my husband. He tries to act all tough all the time, there he was telling the hen that it's okay we're just trying to help her. Aww, what a sweetie.
love.gif

BTW, thanks everyone who has posted!!! This is so exciting to me and I have no one but my kids and DH who understands to share this with. Oh and the hen, I haven't had her long enough to name her, but she is a phoenix with a flopped over comb like she's got fancy hair. LOL she's really sweet.

I'm about to run to the grocery store. My DD 11 wants to cook tonight, which gives me a chance to do all this lol.

Fancy's her name. And her mamma helped to her move up town. (Reba McIntire's song Fancy)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I love that song, it's perfect. I will tell my family right now. I am hoping she stays on those eggs. I'll have a morning update.

I bought 7 pullets and a cockerel of Buff Orphingtons just so I hopefully will have a broody or two. We where at the auction selling and there was a BO hen and about 10 chicks somebody was selling. I wanted them so bad and still regret not getting them but we where in need of the cash.

Have you seen the video? At the end(years later) Fancy returns to the rundown shack. Fancy has the influence $$$ to turn it into the future home for wayward girls.

If you have one rooster there will be some babies born out of wedlock. Fancy can help the others.
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh how exciting! Look at the pretty nest she made all lined with soft feathers! Don't forget to come back and post pics of the babies in a few weeks when they hatch!

Update:
We moved her last night and saw that 3 of her eggs were missing
sad.png
There were only 7 eggs and she looked like she was going to keep sitting on them even after we moved her.

Unfortunately, today she hasn't done much sitting. It's daylight and she knows she is somewhere different. Her roo is also hanging around and since I can't catch him, he can't be with her right now. I took up the 7 eggs and candled them in the bathroom. There was no development and I cracked open 2 and they didn't look fertile.

I guess I will just keep her where she is, but catch the roo so he can be with her. The roo is a little young, and I have plenty of time for babies and broodies, even if I am a little disappointed. Oh well, maybe next time.

Sorry everyone.

Back
Top Bottom