I just got my cayuga ducklings but I already want to get rid of one!

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
Yesterday, I recived my two male ducklings from my metzer farm order. I was planning on giving one to my cousin this saturday, but i wish I could get rid of it now! When I take out my duckling, which is completely black while that one has a blonder stomach and a blonde spot on its nose, that one screams. When I have my duckling alone it follows me and jumps on me, but when I take both out the other one leads it around and doesn't want to be near me. I think only mine imprinted on me a little and the other one just hates me. I'm afraid the more time they spend together the more mine wont like me. What should I do? Also, will they handle the break up?
Thanks,
Kiki
p.s. I was planning on keeping only one until it was 5 weeks old and then getting another.

Last edited:
I know you'll take care of this duck, but it seems to me that ducks are flock animals and a single duck is miserable alone. If you can take the duck with you everywhere you go, maybe it won't be so bad. I think at least a couple of ducks is better.

How much time are you going to spend with this duck in the 5 yrs.? Every minute 24 hrs a day... I love my ducks following me and imprinting , but in the long run it is soo impractical to keep just one.... who will play with it all day when your in school ? it will be soooo lonesome ANY amount of time your gone.. even 5 min...its rather cruel, its not like a dog or cat. please re-think this.

Last edited:
The duckling doesn't hate you-it's in a new place, new environment and it's afraid.
You've had if for ONE day, give it an opportunity to adjust before you get rid of it!

Everyone, I said in my first post i would get another duck later, and I was planning on giving one to my cousin before I even got them. I only wanted it alone for the first few weeks so it would bond stronger to me.

You can't introduce a day old duckling to a 5 week old. That would almost mean certain death to the day old.
You have to have A very strong commitment for this! You will have to take the duckling everywhere you go and I do mean Everywhere!

Quote:
i didnt say i would get a duckling
smile.png

Whatever feathered friend you will get in 5 weeks will bond with the duck and not you! Having a duckling without a body is mental torture to the duckling. You should have done your homework before buying or you would have known better. I hope you are not raising the duckling indoors or you will get your stinky fly infested surprise in about 2 weeks. Diapers are only made to be worn for max of 4 hours per day, so don't think they will be an answer. Make sure you are giving it the right food and supplements or you will end up with deficiencies that can be deadly or deforming. I let you research that on your own. Ok, two hints niacin and angel wing. Both are preventable and have to be put in consideration when you are getting ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom