I just had an epiphany! Grass garden for chickens *pic*

Pharm Girl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
My chickens have killed every blade of grass they had in their run. I was recently turned on to the idea of a grass garden and have seen a couple of home-made ones with wooden sides and chicken wire tops where the birds can only get the tops of the grass that grows through. I was in the shed today and noticed a couple of mesh bottomed nursery crates. I'm flipping them upside down and locking them down with a couple of tent stakes. Don't know if I can get grass seed to germinate this early in the year, but I'm going to try! If this works, my chickadees should be able to eat grass all summer long and I didn't have to build a thing! My crates are designed a bit differently that this pic off the internet, but you get the idea. The plastic mesh should hold their weight. I'm excited to see if this works!

75545_mesh_bottom_cut_kit_tray.jpg

***Image carped from http://waytogrow.net/store/product/2717/Mesh-Bottom-Cut-Kit-Tray/ ***

That is an inspired idea! I look at everything and think- can I some how use this in the garden or for the chickens???

I do this!!! It works great. I had to buy some mesh screen to cut and put at the bottom of the flat so all the dirt didn't go through. I have a whole bunch of them in the corner of my garden where the sprinklers hit them in the summer.

I have sod in one, wheat grass in another, mixed salad greens in one, baby tears in another, and flat leaf parsley in several pots (my girls LOVE flat leaf parsley). I just put one in their run for a few days till it's mostly destroyed but not to the point of no return. Then I pull it out and a few days later I'll toss in a different one. The pots for the parsley are about 6 inches tall and I put medium sized river rocks around the actual plant to try and give the plant some protection and encourage them to just eat the green parts.

I should take photos of this to share.

I only have 3 girls so one will last several days in their run. Your mileage will vary depending on the number of hungry beaks and feet tearing at it.
gig.gif

This early? Maybe use winter rye. I sprouted some for myself a while ago, I ate most of them and have a few growing in a flower pot in my south window. Great idea BTW.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I would love to see photos! I'm going to steal you idea and try different things.

Wow! That's a great idea! I have several of those lying around the farm and was trying to figure out how to repurpose them! You just helped me out a lot! Can't wait to see how it turns out for you!

69266_dsc_2731.jpg

One of the forms with a square of screen in the bottom and I'm just starting to put dirt in it.

69266_dsc_2733.jpg

I thought I'd try wheat grass in this one.

69266_dsc_2734.jpg

I have this small green house that I put out this time of the year. It really helps speed up the growing process and keeps the plants warm at night. More important, it keeps the squirrels out.

69266_dsc_2721.jpg

This is sod I'm growing from seeds. It will be a while before they get to play in this one. I know some places will sell just a roll of sod in the summer months so I might pick up one roll and start another one if this one doesn't progress faster. On the right are the pots of parsely still growing. I had plent in the ground from last year and I just cut a big bunch and put it in their treat bowl for them.

69266_dsc_2725.jpg

On the left is baby tears that is regenerating after they ate it a few weeks back. And in the middle is mixed salad greens.

Back
Top Bottom