I just had an epiphany! Grass garden for chickens *pic*

Quote:
Those look awesome and you have some lucky chickens!!! A bit different than my idea, which is to flip them upside down (mesh side up) and grow the grass up through them. That way the birds can't get to the root of the plants. I wish I had a green house. I'm green with envy!

Oh, I LOVE the idea of flipping them over and letting grass grow protected under them. I hadn't even considered that and was trying to come up with a way to get something green to grow in their run with out them destroying it before it even germinated.

Another option is to buy a seed cake cage from the pet store. They are about four times larger than a suet feeder making it really easy to stuff a bunch of things inside.

69266_dsc_2690.jpg

Mine is nailed onto a post in their run with nails at the top and bottom so it stays put. And then I just tuck in a handfull of greens, wedge of cabbage, apple core, etc. and the work at it all day long. The next day, I dump all the stems and things they didn't eat into the composter.

Great ideas! Where do you get your seed? I'm afraid to use regular grass seed because it's always treated with chemicals. I guess organic wheat grass seed can be purchased at a place like Whole Foods.

Yea, Whole Foods is a good source. Or you can use the wheat seeds from your local feed store and grow those. Or you can feed them in the seed form to the chickens. I get my by the bagfull at our local feed store for 50 cents a pound.

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I had to laugh! Eva and I can be driving along and one of will point out an old falling down shed,some fence wire rolled up in a field or ..........just darn near anything like that laying around and both us us are like...."we sure could use that for the chickens" or "what could we make with that for the chickens". I do the same with garden tractors from the 1960's( I collect and try to restore the old ones) and old TV/radio towers(I'm an amateur radio operator too). We hate to see stuff go to the landfill if it can be reused or recycled.

Larry

i have a clear rubermaid container upside down on my coop... i just move it around every once in a while... the grass grows under it, and then i move it so half of the grass is sticking out... then the newly covered patch of dirt will grow more grass and so on... but i think i'm going to cut holes in it, or put mesh on top... i thought of it, and now that people actually do it, i'll make it this week...

Quote:
I actually got untreated grass seed at Grocery Outlet. Don't know if you have those where you live, but it was only $4.99 a bag!

Back
Top Bottom