I just have to ask...(don't be mad meat people!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Really? Personally I think the OP is subtly/"sweetly/nicely" putting down a lot of forum members while asking them to understand her, and I'm reading a lot of replies from forum members who resent having to defend their eating habits to anybody.

I felt the same way Joe. I guess it was just the way the original post was written.

Quote:
I eat meat, but I still consider myself very much an animal lover. Eating meat has nothing to do with not loving the animals. Everyone here does what they can to make their chickens lives better, no matter how long or chickens life is.

The thread the OP accidentally read wasn't clearly marked in the title, but the very first sentence gave warning of what was to come.

Well I just finished dispatching and dressing out my first bird.

After reading the first sentence, what would any of you think the thread was about?
hmm.png

I had my fun with this thread and I'm out.

-Kim​

Didn't this already happen before when I posted this:

Duck Responsibilities (aka Slaughtering Our First Duck)

And then Greyfields had to come in there and start a new thread:

Is It Moral To Eat Meat?

I mean seriously, just don't go into the Meat Birds forum.
roll.png

One more thing....

I have one out there now named *evil clown lamb* cause he looks just like an evil clown..and he acts like one too! ...sending them off to the butcher is not hard to do at all!

gig.gif
THAT IS JUST FUNNY!
gig.gif

Quote:
I butcher my birds, but I don't dress them if they fall over dead. You just never know what they may have died from. Better safe then sorry.

Now as far as the OP's issue here. It's really a nonissue, as many have stated these forums are clearly marked. If you have a problem with the meat bird section ...don't go there. Regardless of how you access posts you can see what forum they are assigned to.

Lots of folks like to stir pots and start debates. I love a good debate myself. So here is my two cents. I live in a farming communtiy and have worked and been around commercial barns much of my life. My family always has and always will eat chicken. You cannot compare the quality of life, or death that my chickens experience compared to that of a commercial farm. It's not as if the people here who raise their own mean, be it beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, goat, or chicken hate animals and take pleasure in causing them pain. It's quite the opposite. We take immense satisfaction in the knowledge that we know how these animals died and how they lived. We know what we are feeding our children is safe. We know that an animal lived a natural life and died a humane death.

I take a great amount of satisfaction and pride in the fact that I have passed on to my children what has become a lost art. I am the only woman my age that I know, in my community, who even has the skills to butcher a chicken. My children are the only children we know, and their friends that we have taught, who have learned these and other self suffecient skills.

While many people here have huge barns filled with thousands of chickens and turkeys they choose to load them on a truck and have them sent off to a processing plant. They then go to the store and pay four times, or more, what they sold them for to get them back. While they have been gone they have died an ugly death, been injected with formaldehyde among other things and packed in plenty of styrofoam and plastic, just to add insult to injury.

If you don't like the fact that folks here eat meat, just avoid those sections. It's pretty simple, but noone's opinions are going to change the way that folks here choose to live. It's not about feeding our bellies...it's about alot more than that to us.

* Ya know, even a vegetarian may someday have to put down a bird. Best to know how it oughta go, and how it can go badly, for your sake, and your birds sake. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom