1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just have to brag

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Sep 30, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    OK both brag and sigh.

First off about my dog. I got him from the pound two years ago. When I got him he had been returned three times and had a whole host of problems.

He is an Australian Shepherd who took a shine to my friend's sheep. She worked on training both of us with the sheep. He then took up with my chickens, herding them form pasture to pasture with me and helped me find the errant bird that didn't go to the coup at night.

I took him to the dog fair yesterday, had him microchiped and tested.....

Well The test was the canine good citizenship test and he passed! Not only did he pass but he had a perfect score. I ran into the people from the shelter I adopted him from and they were shocked. one woman said " But... he's so calm!" they said he is a completely dog than when I adopted him. I am so proud of my ausie.

Then tonight, it was raining and chilly so I was slow to go check on the birds and secure the coup. I went to the mama's pen,w here the mamas with babies run around then go to their own little perspective houses for the night.

Three of the babies somehow got caught in the rain and couldn't figure out how to get to their mom. They were laying unresponsive, limp and soaked. I thought they were dead. I picked up two of them to dispose of the bodies and one of them moved. so i brought them in and dried and rubbed them off before setting them on the heating pad.

I went back outside and my dog had found another. he had picked the baby up and was pacing back and forth with it in his mouth. he then laid it down at my feet and looked up at me with those big eyes of his.

I brought that baby in and did the same.

I lost one of the babies but two are alive, they are warming and starting to walk and flutter their wings. I am surprised. They were completely limp and cold when I brought them in. My dog is now worrying over their box, checking on the surviving two frequently. It both sweet and sad because he knows where I put the other one's body for disposal and keeps going to the door when he's not checking on the living babies.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    That's a cool dog! Give him a treat!

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

What a good dog and what a good home you have given him!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How wonderful! Someone's loss, is your gain. Good for you! Give him a hug from me!! [​IMG] I am sorry about your loss of the one little one. At least you were able to save 2, with the help of your Aussie!

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

What a nice storey, and a great dog!! You are so lucky!! And so is he, that you took the time to train him!!

Thanks for sharing

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    They key is that you give him something to do. Working dogs like that will go nuts if they aren't doing what comes natural.

7. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    That is so great!! I have a 11 week old Blue Heeler Pup and he and my other Older Rescue helped me the other day get a Nervous Hen into the Pen. My pup was born on a Real nice Hobby Farm set up with other Rescued animals , so He should be alot of help.. Good for your very Lucky Dog , He just needed someone who new what to do with him.. They do like to have a Job.. Sorry for the little one..

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Awwww....... what a good dog! Pictures? I have an Aussie too, great dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by