1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just heard the "egg song" for the first time today!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by herechickychicky, Nov 21, 2011.

1. herechickychicky

herechickychicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Marion
    I have waited and waited and waited and waited for the time to come when I can hear that song from my girls. I have seven hens and a rooster, all of which are about 24 weeks old. I have had two of my hens laying for about a month or so, a partridge rock and a golden laced wyandotte. No egg song. Today, my husband told me he heard "quite a racket" from the coop. So I went out there and my other GLW who hasn't laid yet is singing away while perched on top of the roost. "EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG!" She then jumped down and went into one of the boxes. Half an hour later, she is singing again, even louder than before. I check the box, and there's my third egg for the day. Her first egg, my first egg song. I am soooooo happy!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! Egg song, lol. First time I've heard that phrase. Very fitting.

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

BOK bk bk bk bk bk bk BOK~!
    congrats! [​IMG]

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Mine started laying before singing.

Now I wonder, is the song one of pain / relief... or pride?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Isn't it fun to hear the egg song for the first time? I am a new chicken mom this year and my girls have been laying since late August and have been hearing the egg song for a while now. And STILL, after hearing it on a daily basis, I love to hear it!!

I am so happy for you! [​IMG]

6. cluckygal4

cluckygal4 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Tioga
    I thought we were the only ones who called it the "egg song". It's so cool! We have a rooster named Seargent. He can always tell if it's one of his ladies and he'll answer her back from where ever in the yard he is..[​IMG] Congratulations!!

7. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    I think the phrase "egg song" is pretty funny. It sure doesn't sound much like a song to me. More like an egg tantrum or egg announcement, lol. [​IMG]

8. herechickychicky

herechickychicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Marion
    Quote:My rooster ( Vic Mackey ) was so funny. He acted like he was confused. It was as if he knew he ought to be doing something but doesn't know what. So he spent the whole time tilting his head this way and that way and quietly bok bok a couple of times and that was that. After she announced the egg's arrival he crowed right along with her singing. As if he had something to do with it. [​IMG]

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Do chickens "practice" the egg song? On a couple of occasions, I have heard a chorus of the egg song from my hens and they are only 16 weeks old. I know they aren't ready to start laying yet, but it was definitely a different song than the usual noise. It was more like a Bock Bock Bock Bock BaGock! And was repeated frequently. Maybe they are trying to encourage my 21 week old Quail D'Anver hen who is in a cage next to the brooder??? Silly birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by