I just KNOW I'm going to miss it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LedgeWoods, Jul 22, 2010.

1. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    We will be on vacation when my girls are around 17-18 weeks. I'm willing to bet they start laying for the chicken-sitter & I'm going to miss the big event! Although, I'm thinking it may be good for them to be in "lock-down" in the coop that week so they can maybe make use of the nest boxes and learn where the right place to make the deposit is [​IMG]

DH helped me put up new roosting poles last weekend. There are five 6' 2x4's for the flock of 41. I took a look in the coop the other night to find 14 birds squished on one board & 10 on the next board. A couple were on the other 3 boards and the rest were hanging out on top of the next box tops. Is it that they don't like the sound of the vent fan towards the back of the coop?? ...or do I just need to give them more time to get used to the new layout of the coop??

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    mine roost in accordance with pecking order. the highest females are always at the top - i have 6 wyandottes and they are all top dawg.. like a pack.. LOL so they are all up there with the rooster that came with them, however my monster rooster sits on the nesting boxes and always has since i got him even though hes the boss- he just likes to lay down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by