I Just Lost my ENTIRE flock:(****

We put wire running along the bottom of the coop and our normal fence, laying flat on the ground ziptied to the fence, so nothing can dig through the wire and get our birds or get out of the yard(our dogs try to dig out) good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I am going to start working on "leave it" and prolonged "sit stays" and "down stays" I am also a big fan of The Dog Whisperer and am going to employ some of his techniques as well. It has already helped so much with a stray I have been working with in our front yard.

All of my dogs were grown before we ever got chickens so I didn't have the chance to teach them any better. All the times except one that they have killed chickens we weren't home to catch them in the act. One thing I can say is that beating the living tar out of a dog(my dogs anyway) does not work. This is hubbys method and has proved un successful many times over. Even when we caught them in the act the one time.

I have a lot to think about here and have already started to formulate my new plans for the coop. I think if it weren't for you guys here I would have just given up. Its so frustrating to have put so much time and effort into a flock just to have them meet this end. So sad as well:(

Oh and one question: What exactly is an apron? I can't picture it.

If you watch the Dog Whisper you've seen him make a dog lie on it's side with his fingers on it's neck. He say's it like the mothers bite to get authority. Then he will take whatever it is that the dog is fixated on the make him sumit to it. I saw one where he did that with a lab that had killed chickens. It works. He did it with a rabbit also. Try it. He will have to sumit to the chicken and he learns the chicken is just as important as he thinks he is.

I've tried it and know it works.

Quote:
So funny! I record his show and sat down after my last post to watch it and it was the one with the dog that killed chickens!! So great that I have that now to use as a tool!!

Since you won't split the yard or rebuild the coop, and it appears you aren't capable of training your dogs, I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps you aren't in a position to keep chickens right now.

I've had dogs and poultry for 40 years, including several breeds of sight hound, and I've never lost a bird to my own dogs. I train my dogs to leave the poultry alone, the poultry and the dogs are never ever left alone together, and my coops and runs are secure. That's what it takes to have birds and dogs living safely in the same location.

Hunting is a self-rewarding behavior. You'd have a very difficult time teaching your dogs to leave poultry alone after their enjoyable experience. You are not set up to keep the dogs and birds out of contact and you won't do what is necessary to create those conditions. There is no magic wand to wave that will create a safe environment for your birds without some cash and some work.

Sorry.

Quote:
Sounds as if you only read the first post.

She's looking for was to secure her birds and train her dogs.

She's had some helpful feedback.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds as if you only read the first post.

She's looking for was to secure her birds and train her dogs.

She's had some helpful feedback.

Thank you Wolf:) You guys have been so supportive to me! Obviously for now I can't have chickens because like I said, we have no more money to put towards this project. We thought that what we had done would protect them but alas it did not. But, with all of your support and help I have a TON of ideas for the rebuild and tips for training my dogs. When we can rebuild I will have a better plan and better behaved dogs. Although I will not depend on their behavior to keep my chickens safe.

What we had built was the best that we knew to do at the time and worked for quite some time! It just had some flaws that we will now learn from.

Thanks again for all the support. It is people like you all that keep people like me from throwing in the towel!! Its a blessing I found this wonderful group!

OP - You do have alot to think about, and it sounds like you're taking all the right steps. I'm glad you're not giving up. Keeping chickens is a learning experience, and sometimes the learning curve is a tough one. I'll try to describe an apron, but will also suggest that you go over to the Coop & Run Design, Construction and Maintenance thread. Lots of good info on there. An apron is where you bury wire out from your run fence. It would make and L shape. Attach the wire to the bottom of your run fence, and spread it out flat, then cover with dirt, sand, rocks, put plants in there, whatever. I hope this makes even a little bit of sense. Like I said, go to the other thread and you will get a much better descriptions. Sounds like the Dog Whisperer method is a good one. Even though your dogs were adults when you got your chickens, it's not hopeless. I think with consistent training, a good electric fence, and lots of patience you will be able to make it all work.

Hang in there-and keep an eye on craigslist or local paper for materials- I have to agree with the Dog Whisperer-before he came along you could research pack mentality/alpha training-You and your family must be the alphas and not only that-your dogs must understand that they are the lowest in the pack-always. That will put some authority (as I understood it) behind your "Leave it" and other commands. We have blue heelers and this essential training if you don't want a dangerous dog with heelers. When I figure out how to post a pic:rolleyes: I have one with dogs and chickens begging together for bread. Oh and it worked on our rat terrier, too.

Back
Top Bottom