I just love anxiety attacks. Honestly why else do I have them

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, May 24, 2011.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I know exactly what you mean. I have to stay away from high amounts of caffeine because it makes them worst. To add to it, I have heart murmurs and that can make things really scary. The first thing they tried to put me on was Paxil and that only made things worst and then they put me on Zoloft and it helped me. Some things just don't work for certain people. I have them less often now, though I'm not on meds anymore.

2. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Add me to the group of crazies. Ive never been officially diagnosed, but after talking with many people who have, it sounds just like them. When I feel it coming on, its like a dark cloud that just descends over me. My heart starts to race, I get almost like tunnel vision and I have to remind myself to breathe. I start calling loved ones to make sure they are ok. Last one I had was really bad. DH was house sitting for his parents, 15 minutes away. It was almost midnight when it hit. I layed there thinking, it will go away, Im fine, just breathe through it. After what seemed like forever, and it not getting any better, I grabbed my phone and started this long winded text message. I guess by focusing on texting, it got my mind off of my AA and right about the time I was gonna hit send, I realized I was gonna be fine. Scared the living daylights out of me. Ive never had one that bad. I really thought i was dieing.

3. hilareee

hilareee Songster

May 27, 2009
    santa cruz, ca
    i suffer from panic attacks associated with PTSD. the attacks are somewhat under control, but never totally. i really suggest talking this over with your GP, and maybe a Psychiatrist. i have one who prescribes my meds and also does talk therapy. i see him every 3 weeks, and a psychotherapist weekly.

anxiety and panic are not crap you should have to live with. there is help if you're willing to accept it!!

wow so sorry for making such a forward post. so sorry!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  4. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    HeatherLynn I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I too suffer from them. It is one of the most horrible feelings in the world. They do make you feel like you are dying and out of control. I can not promise you that they will ever go away everyone is different. I started suffering with mine after a horrible event in my life. I was diagnosed with PTSD. Did everything the doctors told me to. Went to counseling. The 1st ones I saw were great helped so much. Then we moved and I went to see a new one. Told me to talk to the panic attacks and pretend they were in the corner. WHAT? Did not work. I went to the doctor and he put me on valium. Oh did they help to much. I became dependent on them. And he would give them to me anytime I wanted them. Finally I got off them and was than scared to death to take anything. Finally I found an awesome doctor. I started taking. Klonopin. And it did help. That was 7 yrs ago. I started on the highest dose.(have had panic attacks for over 10 years) I am now down to 1 mg pills. And now I do not even have to take them everyday. I like you can tell most of the time when it is happening. And oh the games our bodies play when it's happening. I don't know what will work for you but I have faith that you can beat this or deal with it the best you can. I am so glad you came on to talk to people while this is happening. I would have never done that. If you ever need to just vent please PM me. I am sending you lot's of prayers and hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My wife, daughter, and grand daughter are all on anti anxiety medication. This is an illness plain and simple probably with a strong genetic component as the condition runs rampant in my wife's family. The right medicine can work miracles. Keep searching until you fine the right doctor/medication.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I highly doubt a doctor will ever be the cause of my cure at this point. Due to issues with various doctors at this point I have no faith or trust in doctors. I only really talk to one doctor now and thats my OB....well and the kids pediatricians. I am severely doctor phobic. Is there a phobia for that? I know that sounds bad. Even the thought of going to the doctor sets of such severe attacks its not funny. I had an attack in my last doctors office. They just kept taking my blood pressure, said it was a bit high and kept right on trucking. I even told the doctor of course it was high, I was in the middle of a bloody panic attack. She suggested deep breathing. Completely ignored where on the history I wrote I suffered from these the last 10 years. It was insane.

The better part tonight is I feel better. Apparently I was getting sick and was a bit over exhausted. A large amount of extra sleep helps a ton. Someday I will beat this if for no other reason that I am more stubborn than these attacks are. I just wish I could find the key that turns them off soon. I am really tired of these.

7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I suffered with anxiety attacks and depression enough to try suicide more than a few times over 11 years..I was on Zoloft for 5 years..it actually helped me a lot.,.but was truly masking the issue..my marriage. When I finally called out to God..knowing I am only human and full of myself..and I meant it..and I was serious to get well...and in line with God...God swooped in and did amazing things. I have now been off meds for about 13 years..no more depression, no more panic attacks..and I wake up most days with a happy , inner peace that is addictive. God is amazing.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Until you think you have a chance at doing better, you never will. I understand you are frustrated, but you have to think positive. I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for quite some time. Got to where I was actually nervous about leaving the house and would have to count in my head to calm myself if I was "stuck" somewhere I couldn't escape (ie in line at store, bank, etc). I was able to mostly work past it on my own, although it was a struggle. Then some medical problems just put me over the edge to where I forced myself to go to the doctor for it.....he gave me some low dose meds and said it would take some time but should help.

and it did.

Now is it actually helping or do I just THINK its helping? Who knows. But whatever it is, it works. It just takes the edge off. You don't need to be doped up, just need to take the edge of. Anxiety is normal, blinding panic is not.

9. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Hi,
    Have you tried guided relaxation? They come on CDs and also as apps on your smart phone, if you aren't familiar with them. If you find one you like, and you keep doing it every day when you don't need it, it can really help. It's like it trains you to relax and then when you start listening to it, you find yourself relaxing right away. Then also do it when you do need it and it should help a lot! I don't have panic attacks, but I get migraines from stress, and it really helps when I'm stressed or my mind is too busy to let me sleep. If I put them on at bedtime (with headphones), I never even make it past 5 minutes before I'm so relaxed I fall asleep. It's almost like after you have been doing them every day for a while, within one minute of turning it on, you're totally relaxed.
    I hope you find something that helps!

10. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Songster

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I am sorry you are having to go though the panic attacks.I have been having them for about 25 years now.I do take medication for it.But I never take the full dose and only take it when I feel one coming on.Doctors always want to start you on a anti-depressant that takes days or weeks to know if they work.I refuse to take something that make me feel worse.I have seen many different doctors.Some good,some really good and some I wouldn't wish on anyone.We have figured out what works for me.I am not depressed.I am high-strung and somethings put me in overdrive.Figureing out what triggered my attacks helped me alot.I can deal with them better now.Where I'm from we always get a cool wet washcloth and turn on a fan to help calm down.Works very well for me and I can skip the meds,too.I am hoping you can find what works for you.[​IMG]:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: