I just love my ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gottsegnet, Nov 23, 2010.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    I went out at sundown to count my chickens and see whether the ducks and geese had gone in yet. The ducks were all on my porch drinking from the dog's water so I put my hands on my hips and said to them in my mother of six voice "Aren't you supposed to be in bed?"

Well, all three looked up at me with startled expressions and ran down the hill, tripping over themselves all the way to their shed where they went in and laid down in their corner without the usual quacking and pacing about as if they couldn't remember where they slept every night.

Now if I could just get my children to obey that quickly!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How gorgeous!!!! They really do have such wonderful character dont they. Im sure everyone would have special stories like that about what funny things there ducks have done as they are just such wonderful creatures.

I currently have two girls who share a nest... When I get up of a morning- one is on the nest- but in the evening- another duck is sitting there. Its only been going on a few days.. I have seen one change over happening though.. sitting ducks hops up and wanders over from behind the shed...Flippy spots her and goes running to the nest - fkuffs up her feathers...turns the eggs a bit and sit down. they are a nest of eggs I dont want incubated- so I have to remove them soon- but I will replace them with a few others- just so the girls can continue their tag team setting if they want to.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Aren't they wonderful? I have to do that with mine almost every night-I'll herd them in and then one or two slip back out. Like you, I say to them, "It's bedtime, isn't it?" and they go running as back to the coop, quacking all the way.
    Ducks are just fantastic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by