I just plain out hate myself...

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I just feel so bad.. My parents told me to cut down the nest box lip for my first broody and her 100% hatch which was 4 chicks. I came home yesterday to find only 3 were out running around with her. After looking all over I finally found 1 of my favorite little blues in the nest box dead...... I can't believe this the nest box lip was only about 4-5inches tall without the bedding. I cut the whole lips out after I buried the little one. I just hate myself so much right now they just hatched over the weekend. I can never do anything right. Sometimes I even wonder why I should even have chickens....

hugs.gif

It might have nothing to do with the nest box height. Stop beating yourself!! Sometimes these things just happen.
hugs.gif

Oh AC Dont beat yourself up... These things happen ... You are an amazing young lady and I know that youi take wonderful care of your animals...
hugs.gif
It happens to the best of us...

hugs.gif
Ohh, don't blame yourself!!! Not every chick that hatches has the complete supply of "the right stuff" to sustain it through life. They may look as fine as the others, but still have some inherent weakness you cannot detect. This may cause them to be more accident-prone or less able to handle some stress that the others can avoid. So sometimes it makes us think we did something to have caused their death when really they weren't destined to live long anyway.

The other chicks were able to get over that lip, right? So that might not have been the cause of this chick's death. I'm so sorry it was your favorite one of the bunch, that always seems to be the case.

We live & we learn & often we learn the hard way. Thank you for sharing your misfortune with us, we'll all try to be more careful in designing our nesting boxes now. But please don't blame yourself, and of course you should continue to keep chickens. Look how much you care about them! Your chickens are very fortunate to have you tending to their needs.

All we can do is try to learn as much as we can and try to provide the ideal conditions for our birds to thrive. Sometimes accidents happen no matter how much we try to prevent them, and sometimes chicks just die no matter how ideal their conditions are.

Thank you everyone I still just feel so bad for the little guy. He would of been so pretty I bet. He was only 1 of the 2 that had rose combs to. The other 2 have what appear to be singles.

Rest in Peace little one (closest to my right hand)
16241_img_2949.jpg

OMG, Sweetie, of course you feel bad -- you sound very responsible and kind-hearted -- which is the sort who feels bad about every big and little thing that goes wrong anywhere and everywhere. But it isn't all your fault -- you are not responsible for every little thing. I am so sorry your dear little chick died -- it very likely had nothing to do with anything you did or didn't do. We read on here everyday about chicks and hens and roos who get snatched by hawks and raccoons, chicks that are felled by injury and disease. It happens -- it happens to the nicest people, it happens to the kindest people. I am just so sorry it happened to you.

hugs.gif

Jenny

P.S. Those are BeAuTiFuL chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom