Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
My dad came and helped me. Gosh, the killing part was hard to take. I was literally shaking, so this is going to have to be a job for my husband. I did everything else, plucking, gutting, and I was fine with that. (but the smell is
sickbyc.gif
)

Anyhow, my question. They are all cleaned out. Do I refridgerate them in cold water, or just refridgerate them? Does it make a difference?

Are you going to eat them? If you're just storing them in the fridge until you cook them, I'd wrap them and not put them in water. Although I don't necessarily know that water would hurt...I just think it's easier storing without it.

Good job on your first birds! I agree, sometimes the smell gets to me.
smile.png

I read that you need to put them in the fridge for 24 hours before eating or freezing. So we'll probably eat one tomorrow and freeze the other one for later. I think I'll put them in water and let them soak with ACV in the water. They are thoroughly cleaned out, but I'll feel better I suppose if I soak them.

Quote:
I've never heard that. :confused: They should be chilled after you process them, but I've eaten birds a few hours after processing with no ill effects.
idunno.gif

Wow! Congratulations on actually making it through...lol...'cause I don't think I would. I'd probably be doing more than just shaking...lol. Don't know anything about storing OR processing. Just wanted to say you're brave for giving it a shot.
smile.png

woot.gif
for you new2chooks.

My DH complained about the smell also when we first processed. "What SMELL" I demanded and stuck my nose into the chicken, then had to laugh cause it smelled good to me - it will not take long and the smell will smell natural and "store bought" will smell "off".

We do age in water or a brinish water. I change the water every 24 hours and usually try to let the bird set for up to 72 - you want rigor to have left (try moving the leg around if in doubt).

The above article is wonderful - I also have it saved to my computer.

Hey grats on the first processing experience, hubby is DEFINITELY the one who will be chopping heads. I will help with everything else, but I cant bring myself to kill a chicken ALTHOUGH I did swear I would do one, just something I feel I should have to do as a meat eater...

Back
Top Bottom