I just put my chicks into my heated garage- will they die?

SuperCoco

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
I just put my week old chicks into my garage and I am wondering if they will die or be OK. Please reply so I can know if they will be OK.

Thanks.

-SuperCoco

I will be sending more pics in.

They will be fine if they are protected from any drafts and they have a heat lamp where it is 95 F under the lamp but they have room to move away from the lamp if they get too warm.

If you don't have a heat lamp, a 100 watt light bulb may be enough. hang it over the chicks' brooder and put a thermometer in there to take the temperature. You want it 95F. Then, every week older that the chicks get, it can be reduced by 5F. People do this by moving the lightbulb further way.

With my chicks, I would move the lightbulb further away, and then after a couple weeks, I would move it closer again and replace it with the next smaller lightbulb (75w, 60w, down to 40w).

I agree with the other posts. Do they have heat, feed and plenty of water? Could you please post some pics of your setup?

Yes, they have all of that stuff like a heat lamp, food and water. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I've gotten them as far as the basement but I know my wife would draw the line at the livingroom!
lol.png

If they have a heat source and food and water they're fine. I used 100 watt bulbs and ratty cardboard boxes with old door screens on top for years, they work qute well, chicks do not need jewel encrusted waterers and embroidered pillows to thrive.
wink.png
They need the heat but also room to get out of the heat as well, they'll regulate their own temp, stop worrying so much.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom