I just rescued 2 chicks....

debashan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Oquawka, IL
from my Farm King. It's that glorious thing called 'chick days'. They had one all alone in one room, that looked like it had a few minutes to live, and another in a room of probably, 50 day-olds, lying on it's back being chewed on. I got the girl and asked her to put the two of them alone together in a single room. She promptly did that, as I watched for a while, I got the bright idea of asking her to give them to me, to see if I could save them. She brought the manager over and I suggested I would take them home, instead of them dying in there and their customers finding the store inept, in the matters of chick raising. she agreed and handed them over. I got them home settled in a heated box. They perked up some, had a bite, a drink, and the smallest of the two has begun pecking the eyes of the other. I mean grabbing onto, and pulling the lid! It'd rather hideous. These are the only infants I have .I have them seperated right now, and wondering of any other suggestions that may allow them to be together. I know they are social beings. I feel bad they are apart, but worse about the abuse. Thanx, Debbie

try putting them where they can see and hear each other. After they are healthy they will be able to defend themselves better. They will still fuss a bit but they should be able to get along. Good Luck and congrats on the new chicks.

Let me mention that they were marked as Golden Phoenix, which I have zero experience with. I have cochin, brahma and salmon faverolle adults which I raised from chicks, never had one single picker. I have the pick-on in a clear bowl in the box, the other one going totally nuts. I hope they sleep soon. The pick-on is sleeping alot, I hope it's healing. Thanx

it was so good of you to take them! i'm glad that they are in better hands
smile.png

what i do when i have a chicke being picked on is keep them in the same brood box with a piece of clear plastic between them. NOT SARAN WRAP! they can mess with it and suffocate.

try giving them warm sugar water, it will perk them up alot and give them the energy they need to recover.

congrats on the new babies! i wish them the best!

I'll try it, When DH gets home. He's techno-boy. I'm clueless. I'm also going to ask him to try to make a diivider out of maybe sometime of screen material, he's also extremely handy. I thought the clear, something like plexi glass was a good idea, but I know he won't cut a piece for this. I'm thinking wire shelving will work, too. He might have some of that. I keep trying to put them together hoping it will be forgotten, no luck so far. I won't be able to go to bed with them together. I know that!

I would guess when they start eating and drinking more normally they will peck less. Hungry chicks start looking for anything to eat and peck everything especially things that move. Sometimes those moving things are each other.

Sorry it took so long to get back, this has been the craziest chick experience i've ever had. First the picked on chick didn't make it, the lone chick was going crazy all night. I went back to FK first thing this morning to get him a companion, came home with a pecked and bleeding Polish and a lovely little black sex-link girl. The Phoenix has continued to eye-peck both of them, I've never seen such a thing, it's very disturbing and he is absolutely tiny. I feel totally drained and keep asking myself "what was I thinking?" I was compelled to intervene and don't regret it, but I am looking forward to things quieting down. I have decided I need to get a red heat lite, realizing I never had this problem with my first 17 broodies, it was uneventful and fun. They were raised in red. First thing tomorrow I will be off to Wal-Mart to buy one. Thanx all for your responses and concerns. Debbie

if the pecking problem persists i would still recommend that you put a piece of clear plastic between them. they can still see each other but cannot harm each other. good job on your decision to buy a heat lamp!

by the sounds of it wherever your buying the chicks from is an awful place. i would call the animal people on them and put them to justice. they are keeping those poor babies in a terrible situation.

Back
Top Bottom